Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Map C - Fennjourn

Default Map C - Fennjourn

It appears i am joining this great project. I will work on it whenever have time and willingness .

I am starting with planning what goes where. Since J.E. didnt mark mountains here its up to me. The land is still not marked on global map so i attached the crop from J.E.

As you can see, my land is in the north and so i envision this as frozen, snowy island with pines. My idea so far is to place mountains in the middle of island (brown lines). The arctic wind will push clouds from NE to SW. Most clouds will be blocked by mounstains which will create some rain shadow on the left side of mountains. No rivers and flora there, just snowy land. Black curvy lines are rivers, green outlines will be pines.

I guess that is it for now.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region C.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	95313
    Last edited by Voolf; 05-01-2017 at 09:27 AM.

I am trying to do this one top view, not my usuall ISO. For that i had to play a lot with some new techniques. This is the best i could managed so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region C_v1.1.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	273.8 KB 
ID:	96144

The aim is to do large scale top down map without lines. But its still in testing phases. At some point if i can not manage to make it as i want, i will map it with my usuall style.
    Last edited by Voolf; 05-29-2017 at 03:49 AM.

Oh my! I missed this thread completely!

Sorry Voolf!

For what it's worth I'm seeing the ridges as indents for some reason. But that might just be me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh my! I missed this thread completely!

Sorry Voolf!
    No problem.

For what it's worth I'm seeing the ridges as indents for some reason. But that might just be me!
    I am not sure if that's good or bad ? By saing "indent" you mean you see them as depression ?

Yes - as depressions.

If the shading was much more on one side than both maybe the illusion would work better? Just a suggestion - since I've never even done a regional map either top or ISO view... (well I have, but I haven't shown them here because they were from my earliest days and not very good)

I've been having a more detailed look at those mountains, and I think its the actual spine of the ridge that is setting my perception of them all wrong. If you look at the flanks of them and try not to see the ridges at all, then they look perfectly right. Maybe the detailing of the ridge looks right as well, but loses something in the size reduction (I'm assuming you have to reduce the map to upload it here) so that it looks more like a pucker than a line of rocky bits?

Don't know.

Could really do with some input from someone who does top down mountains all the time.

It's actually the original size. They are not suppose to be detailed because its large scale, so instead if seeing individual mountains, its just a spine.

It is roughly done, i will work maybe on more shadows, but will wait to hear others opinion. However i look at it, it does not look like depression to me :/
    Last edited by Voolf; 05-29-2017 at 05:19 AM.

LOL! Its probably only me

You know I have these peculiar little ways of seeing things sometimes

Great to see some progress on Guild World, Voolf - and I'm sorry if my weird eyes have put you off at all. Please ignore me?

LOL! Its probably only me

You know I have these peculiar little ways of seeing things sometimes

Great to see some progress on Guild World, Voolf - and I'm sorry if my weird eyes have put you off at all. Please ignore me?
    Ignore my tiny, little, furry, Mousy friend.... no way, you may be onto something

LOL!

Maybe if you increase the intensity of the shading of the slopes as they get towards the ridge they would blend into the ridge a lot more and force the ridge to look more ridge-like?

And that is just another suggestion pulled out of the air, and not based on any real experience

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast