Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map B - Kacey's Land

Guild Expert

Default Map B - Kacey's Land

Which style do you prefer???

I've been working on this quite a bit already, and there's allot of things behind the scenes that you won't see here, but I'm torn on which direction to take this... It matters because whichever route I decide to take will drastically change how I approach the other elements.

If I choose the lighter more subtle version, The border will be more simple probably just a thinner line, then a thicker one typical of a more 16th or 17th century style map, there won't be much more colour, maybe some shades of brown, and a bit of red possibly for the city icons which will be a dot with a ring around it, and similar to the last bookmark I did, and I'll probably go with a more rusty or faint grey for navigation lines, and maybe a hatched style title box, again old style.

But if I go with the darker one it will be more modern, typical fantasy style map of the likes of Voolf, or Johsia when it comes to style (I really like there maps, and have always wanted to emulate them) and will probably go a bit more fancy around the border with bushy trees, and hand drawn wave lines around the coast, navigation lines, and maybe a fancy compass. This style will be harder for me since it will involve allot of experimentation.

I'm kind of leaning towards the one on the left, but I'm curious what you guy's think.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colour....jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	6.03 MB 
ID:	95391

Between those two I prefer the one on the left. Could be, because it's just much lighter than the one with all the colour.

You could do the one on the left, and it would look gorgeous. It would be similar to maps you have already done, which is fine.
    The one on the right would allow you more options and, yes, would likely involve more experimentation.
    The left one could aid in more mastery of style.
    The right one could aid in more expansion of skills.

I suppose it depends on the amount of time and effort you want to put into this map.
    Me personally... I'd love to see what you would do with the one on the right.
    but... experimentation should be fun and light-hearted. Not weighty and draining.

I'd also love to hear any bits of story that may relate to your lands, as you go along.

The left hand one

I'd love to hear the backstory as well!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

I think you'll do a great job whichever you choose, Kacey, but if I had to pick one I'd go for the left as well. That being said, I agree with what John said and it could be great to see you really experiment with things on the right map...

Hmm.... tough choice. Um, both?

I also agree with what J said. And... just because you pick one to do first doesn't mean you can't do the other one later, if you want to try both.

Guild Expert

Thanks for the suggestions guy's, maybe I'll have to do both, or a mix, I haven't decided yet, and it's brought this project to a stand still.

Oh no! Don't fall at the first hurdle, Kacey!

Do both... do 10 variations....

All you have to do is just flip a coin for which one to make a start on. Better something, than nothing

If it is gonna cause you to stall, then go with what is fun, what will be a pleasure to do.
    I kind of agree with Mouse on that - better something than nothing.

Guild Expert

I did a little more work, and changed the look to somewhere in between, I can't attach an image right now because I'm on my iPad, but I'd like to get a little further first anyway. I also think it's good to step back for a few days and see things with fresh eyes sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast