Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Major Regions of the World of Kelleemah

Quote Originally Posted by HadrianVI View Post
    Giving credit to the original author is not a rule for oneself but required by international copyright law. And so is asking permission before copying or redistributing the work of someone else.
    In cases of fair use one is not required to ask permission, however, this is clearly not a case of fair use. Hence, you are not allowed to redistribute the map unless Charles gives his approval.
    Before going on some tangent about Copyright laws. No. It's not "international copyright laws" I've seen many maps on PMC that originate from here. That's how I found the site and no credit was giving. While yes, you should give credit when using someones stuff most of the time, sadly, people do not. Also, "Fair Use" is a US thing. As i am not in the US, US laws don't apply. Before preaching copyright laws to someone please get the copyright laws for the country they are in... Not your countries.... They won't apply.

NOTE: 50 Shades of Gray was a Twilight Fan Fic that was made without the consent of Twilights creator. However, accredidation was giving and that was sufficent in "Fair Use." This is one and the same as tht example.
    Last edited by CanAbyssKahn; 05-09-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Which other cartographers, apart from Charles, have been abused this way?

EDIT:

Cut and paste from the rules of the Minecraft site:

"Minecraft Forum is located in the United States, United States law must be followed at all times. This includes Copyright law and Computer Misuse law (Malware, Virus etc.)."
    Last edited by Mouse; 05-09-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Which cartographers have been abused this way?
    What I believe you meant. and just go thru the entirety of PMC. Stuffs everywhere. The one that sticks out the most however is, THIS & THIS. Arklan was taken down off PMC though after people found out it was based on someone elses work and was not accredited. Can't remember what they called it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Which cartographers have been abused this way?

EDIT:

Cut and paste from the rules of the Minecraft site:

"Minecraft Forum is located in the United States, United States law must be followed at all times. This includes Copyright law and Computer Misuse law (Malware, Virus etc.)."
    Again, NOTE: 50 Shades of Gray was a Twilight Fan Fic that was made without the consent of Twilight's creator. However, accreditation was giving and that was sufficient in "Fair Use." This is one and the same as that example.

Quote Originally Posted by CanAbyssKahn View Post
    Before going on some tangent about Copyright laws. No. It's not "international copyright laws" I've seen many maps on PMC that originate from here. That's how I found the site and no credit was giving. While yes, you should give credit when using someones stuff most of the time, sadly, people do not. Also, "Fair Use" is a US thing. As i am not in the US, US laws don't apply. Before preaching copyright laws to someone please get the copyright laws for the country they are in... Not your countries.... They won't apply.

NOTE: 50 Shades of Gray was a Twilight Fan Fic that was made without the consent of Twilights creator. However, accredidation was giving and that was sufficent in "Fair Use." This is one and the same as tht example.
    Well, giving credit to the original author is copyright law - it's called "moral rights". If people on PMC take maps from here without asking for permission or giving credit to the author then it is a copyright infringement. And yes, "fair use" technically is a common law thing, most jurisdictions know similar rules. However, this does not matter in this case, since publicly redistributing works in this way does not fall under "fair use".

It does not really matter which country you are in because most countries have signed, ratified and adapted the Berne Convention and other conventions that provide a minimum of protection for the author. So, if you for example live in China, you would still be infringing Charles' Copyright because what you are doing is protected by Chinese copyright law (§ 2 of the Chinese Copyright Code). Also, this forum, the minecraft forum and planet minecraft are all hosted on servers based in the US.
    Therefore your posts fall under US jurisdiction.

And yes, 50 Shades of Gray seemed to have originated as Twilight Fan Fiction, but unlike you the author of 50 Shades has apparently not copied the content of 50 Shades. Instead she invented her own story. If she would have for example used the characters of the twilight books, she would have had to ask for permission.
    Last edited by HadrianVI; 05-09-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HadrianVI View Post
    Well, giving credit to the original author is copyright law - it's called "moral rights". If people on PMC take maps from here without asking for permission or giving credit to the author then it is a copyright infringement. And yes, "fair use" technically is a common law thing, most jurisdictions know similar rules. However, this does not matter in this case, since publicly redistributing works in this way does not fall under "fair use".

It does not really matter which country you are in because most countries have signed, ratified and adapted the Berne Convention and other conventions that provide a minimum of protection for the author. So, if you for example live in China, you would still be infringing Charles' Copyright because what you are doing is protected by Chinese copyright law (§ 2 of the Chinese Copyright Code). Also, this forum, the minecraft forum and planet minecraft are all hosted on servers based in the US.
    Therefore your posts fall under US jurisdiction.

And yes, 50 Shades of Gray seemed to have originated as Twilight Fan Fiction, but unlike you the author of 50 Shades has apparently not copied the content of 50 Shades. Instead she invented her own story. If she would have for example used the characters of the twilight books, she would have had to ask for permission.
    Once more and I'm done with the debate, lmao. To publish the book she had to change the character names. I'm not copying the map bit for bit as stated on MCForums. I 'm using it as a base and at this point it's so different it's not even the same map lol. Check my post on MCForum for screenies to see for yourself. The only thing I "copied" is the 3 long fjord like Mountain ranges and even those have been changed as I plopped a blown up volcano in there with them.
    Back to the 1st post I made however......,
    Charles, I simply wanted to inform you that I am using your map that you made as a basis for inspiration on my own seperate project. As I used your works for inspiration I have accredited you in the post and when I finish it I will add a .txt file with a link to this post and the other one listed within this thread in your original as the inspiration and send you a finished copy before I release it to the public. Thank you for your time and I apoligize for the massive notifications that ensued from this ordeal. ?

CanAbyssKahn,

Thank you very much. I am glad that you like my world design and that it has inspired you. All of my work is open for personal use. It is available for redistribution and/or modification though in only two forms without express permission: 1) Users on Pinterest may “Pin” my work from my Pinterest site for their Pinterest pages (After all, sharing is the purpose of the website), and 2) Users of Deviant Art may “Favorite” and/or add it to their specific Deviant Art collection folders from my Deviant Art profile.

Under all other conditions, anyone interested in the redistribution (Such as posting my work to another website beyond the two listed above) or modification (Such as making a Minecraft version or using it to inspire such work) must attain my express permission prior to doing so. The decision to do so is on a case-by-case bases and I can decline the request for any reason (or even no reason).
    My work is not available for commercial use. Those interested in such must contact me at charles.wayne.robinson@gmail.com. The decision to do so is on a case-by-case bases and I can decline the request for any reason (or even no reason).

I post my work on the following websites:
    1. ProFantasy Software: https://secure.profantasy.com/default.asp
    2. Cartographers Guild: https://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?&u=34663
    3. Deviant Art: http://charleswaynerobinson.deviantart.com/
    4. Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/crobinson1797/

If I give permission for redistribution and/or modification or for commercial use, please acknowledge my work using the information given within the quotes below:

“by Charles W. Robinson
    http://charleswaynerobinson.deviantart.com/
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/charleswrobinsonprofile/”

I ask that any links to specific work to be from the Deviant Art website. This website shows all of the work that I have done and does not have any work-in-progress pieces (WIP). It only has finished work. In addition, the downloadable work on this site is full size (High resolution work).

Understand that the way that I handle my work only applies to my work. Do not automatically assume that anyone else’s work on this forum on any other platform is the same. I am truly flattered when people like my work, want to “Pin” it, “Favorite” it, or use it. But, I expect every person who wants to use my work to hold themselves to a professional set of standards that transcends the law (i.e. Best practices). Anyone that wants to use my work must show respect, understanding, and professionalism to both me and the platform communities that I post on.

Since the request was not submitted prior to using it on your website and since “best practices” were not adhered to in regard to two community members that posted their concerns on this thread; I have decided to deny the redistribution and/or modification of my work (Kelleemah Map) for your Minecraft project.

Sincerely,

Charles W. Robinson
    Last edited by CharlesRobinson; 05-10-2017 at 02:14 AM.

The above message has also been sent to CanAbyssKahn directly and to the Minecraft Website.

As I sent you in a message, I removed the accreditation to you for the inspiration and your information as you requested. Along with your profile link

Thank you CanAbyssKahn,

Next time, just check first please. :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast