Thread: Latest vbulletin upgrade and last patch

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Latest vbulletin upgrade and last patch

So, I just upgrade us to the latest version of vbulletin, and found that there will probably be no more updates to vbulletin 4...we will pretty much be forced to upgrade to vb5 soon. This is fine with me, however we will lose the award system unless someone with php/mysql skill is willing to help me port that mod to vb5. In the meantime, we may have to come up with some other way of recognition if that doesn't happen.

Also, there were some https changes in the latest version, so if anyone has any problems connecting or uploading, please let me know
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

By award system do you mean challenge, tutorial, 10th anniversary and Atlas Award medals?

I don't have any, but I like that people who deserve them get to 'wear their medals'

It is a really unfortunate thing to have the award system go.
    If it goes, maybe we can brainstorm a sort of replacement.
    It wouldn't be the same, but I have some thoughts on how we could do something.
    I don't have time to get into all that right now, but I will try to later.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

None of the required skills, but I think we can find someone if we look - I think the award system is an fun function.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

It should be fairly straightforward. I just don't have time to dig into the vbulletin api to do it myself.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk

Why even upgrading if everything is working just fine ?

Back in the day i also administrated forum phpbb and i remember that some updates created new bugs so i stopped doing them because there was nothing new people needed and no bugs to fix.

Blog Entries

There's actually quite a few features of vbulletin 5 I'm looking forward to though, like search engine optimization for one. Also, they have a more comprehensive anti spam system and better social media integration I think. There's also the issue of security and such. I don't think 4 will be receiving security patches much more either.

Well if there are some crucial updates you need, then i guess there is no choice. And you are right i havent thought about security. It is important here with all the sponsoring etc. When do you think you will upgrade to v5 version ? I am no use with database and php, but if i find some time i can look through new versoin and addons and maybe there will be some nice alternative for awards.

Edit: I did a quick search for now, and it seems there is absolutely nothing that could substitute current award system in the official vb mod forum. I search the forum and it sems some people are requesting this feature but there is no respone. :/

Robbie have you checked whether the current award system add-on is compatible with vb5? If not its worth a shot.

Also if we are gonna be using v5 i would like user tagging to be implemented if possible.

Edit2: I was also thinking if it is possible to alternate the code for User Ranks somehow. It is a long shot, but maybe doable? I guess if someone could do that there would be no more multiple awards of the same type. If someone has for example gold compass already, cannot have second one. More variety of awards instead of same type in this case ?
    Last edited by Voolf; 05-14-2017 at 01:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I've even requested a pay to port option and no one has bitten. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...32684&page=123

There's a bunch of great features of vb5 I'd like, user tagging is one of them.

The code for the award system is available at that link if anyone wants to check it out.

You mean you need someone to help train the new pigeons to carry the compasses to the right people?