Thread: images not showing in Chrome (though they do in Firefox)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default images not showing in Chrome (though they do in Firefox)

Hey all,

I recently ran into an issue with Chrome. Any images added to posts as a thumbnail fail to display - they are shown as a dry link instead:

Chrome:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prt_Chrome.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	94526

In Firefox everything seems to work fine though:

Name:	Prt_Firefox.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	94527

The issue even pops up when I try to upload images myself:

Name:	upload.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	94528

weird huh? Do any of you know how this can be fixed?
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I can't reproduce this, but there's one thing that occurred to me (this is a longshot, but thought I'd ask anyway)...

The server treats logins differently when you use www.cartographersguild.com vs without the 'www' part. So, for example, if you're logged in with the 'www' version then visit https://cartographersguild.com (without the 'www') it'll show you as logged out. I recall seeing somewhat similar errors to this in the past, when we'd just changed server, and it was tied to this 'www' thing. So, basically, what I'm wondering is... are you perhaps using 'www' in one browser and not in the other?

Only a theory but worth a quick look.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Hey there Chickpea,

I tried it, and it worked! Adding the www made the thumbnails appear without a hiccup.

However... when I switched back to the no-www version, the thumbnails were showing as well. This is in line with what I noticed earlier: sometimes they appear, sometimes they don't, and I haven't found a rule in it yet. I copied the exact same url from my previous test, and now they're there... so maybe it isn't about the url after all. Weird!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

It might be tied to the browser cache in some way, though I'm not really sure...

Most of the time when surfing, I don't bother using the 'www' on websites and (apart from my bank) it's hardly ever an issue. But I started to run into problems here sorta similar to what you've outlined. I just started using 'www' all the time at the Guild, and I've had no issues since. I think there's a server configuration issue somewhere, but basically if you stick to 'www' you'll be fine.

Glad it was an easy fix!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Blog Entries

It could be that they are cached by the browser at that point. If you go to the prefs and clear all of the stored data in the browser then I would bet that they would not be retrieved again.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    It could be that they are cached by the browser at that point. If you go to the prefs and clear all of the stored data in the browser then I would bet that they would not be retrieved again.
    Heh, seems like you're right! If I remove the "www", the images still don't show up in threads I hadn't visited before - but they do as soon as I add the "www", and stay even when I remove it again. So that's the cache, just like you said! I love simple solutions for horrible problems .

Thanks guys!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!