Thread: Central Dominion Region

Wip Central Dominion Region

I haven't posted in awhile. I've been too busy working on a large project with a partner of mine.
    But I've managed to work on this in my free time over the past month or so.
    It's my first attempt at drawing a regional map, so forgive me if something is obviously flawed.
    I'm trying a style i've never done before with this map, so I hope you like it.
    As always, if you have any suggestions or pointers you want to give feel free to send them my way.

To Do:
    Finalize Forest lines
    Remap rivers
    Redetail lakes and shorelines
    Add detail to bodies of water
    Add detail to grasslands
    Add landmarks, cities, towns, and roads
    Highlights and Shadows
    Color

As you can see, I have a long way to go before I'll be happy with this. Hopefully I'm not missing anything. (I know it's very grey I'm sorry )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Central Dominion Region.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	95561

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Very cool mountainous regions! Is the river in the middle flowing all the way into the sea, or does it stop short for a reason?

The Rivers were designed on a previous iteration of the shoreline and mountains. I will be redrawing them all from scratch since I'm not happy with how they turned out anyway.
    I even think it's funny that one of the rivers now passes through a hilly region that was added later. (Rivers don't flow uphill)

So the river in question doesn't connect to the shoreline because the original shoreline ended there and not where it is currently. I mainly left them in as placeholders so I wouldn't forget where to redraw them.

Wip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Central Dominion Region.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	99451

Finally I feel like I can update this project. I apologize for reviving such an old post, but I've been busy with another project I've been working on for a friend of mine.
    Obviously this map has seen some major additions since the previous iteration and so far i'm happy with how it's turning out.

I did add the shoreline details I was planning on, and I feel like it adds a good texture to the water.
    Currently in the process of addressing the hilly areas which seemed incomplete in the previous iteration. Let me know what you think of the change from the previous WIP.

I am a little put off by how the rivers have turned out, I feel like they could look better but I am unsure of how to make them feel or look better.

I still have a long way to go with this one:
    Complete Forest areas
    Detail Grassland
    Add Cities/Roads/Towns
    Name and Label Important structures/regions
    Color

Quote Originally Posted by Lumtheo View Post

Finally I feel like I can update this project. I apologize for reviving such an old post, but I've been busy with another project I've been working on for a friend of mine.
    No need to apologize. There are threads which span many years. Heck, there are threads which have gaps of years before a mapping project is taken up again.

This is coming along nicely, but you might want to add some anti-aliasing to smooth out those lines some; they're a bit jagged.

I definitely agree on the jaggedness of some of the lines. I was planning on adding a slight blur to the entire map to simulate a more weathered feel but i'm not sure how I want to go about doing that. I'll keep the anti aliasing in mind if I can't find an organic way to rendering it better.