Thread: Extrapolation of a D&D map

Default Extrapolation of a D&D map

Ok,

So I was bored one afternoon and was flipping through one of the old D&D 3.0 sourcebooks and saw this map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Church-map-03.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	95713
    And I thought: well, that's not bad but if -I- were designing a super-secret basement chamber/temple, I'd add a bit more to the design so hide a secret within a secret.

So if you assume that (1) is the basement of some tavern (complete with large wine casks and racks of wine bottles), then (2) is a secret hall created behind the first wall of casks. The addition of more bottle racks creates the illusion that the inn keeper has hidden his best brews from the public behind the wine cask and that if any of the town guard were to discover the secret entrance he could always pass it off as a way to protect his most valued stock.

The secondary hall (2) was created with a hidden door at the far right end that would lead to (3) and a small viewing port on the left so that anyone inside the chapel (3) could see who was coming in and potentially lock that secret door.

(3) would be your standard, hidden chapel but wait, there's a hidden room hidden behind the statue of the god that would potentially serve as a panic room or vault to hide the religious artifacts (or worshipers) should the tavern above get raided.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	satyr-club.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	392.7 KB 
ID:	95714

This is just an example of reusing an old map and allowing one's imagination to run wild for a bit. However, I would love to learn how to replicate the stone wall pattern that D&D was using for their maps.

Anyone with a clue please comment.

Thanks!

Always the Quest,
    -GP
    Larger copies of my maps located on flickr and can be used for your enjoyment.

I think that is a great idea, my only quibble is the viewing port is to obvious. I had to re read the description because at first I thought, why put a secret door in a wall that has an obvious door. The viewing port makes more sense, but it should be hidden.