Thread: Mapping Fictional city Plus Metro

Default Mapping Fictional city Plus Metro

Good afternoon all

I have already tweeted the essence of this request to @CartoGuild this morning, though I am not sure this is the correct avenue, hence re-posting here.

In short, I am a published author of Sci-Fi, and I am looking to commission someone to help me create a map for an in-development Visual Novel.

At the very least, it would be a city map and a diagrammatic map of its metropolitan railway.

The maps may (or may not) end up in the actual game, but for the moment, I simply need something to use as a reference material.

I know very little of cartography and city planning, though I know enough to say I'm not qualified for this task myself.

Are there any members who would be interested in taking on such a challenge?

What are the going rates in this discipline?

I will provide more details as soon as I can establish a working relationship. I am negotiable on all fronts.

This is a paid engagement. You will be compensated for your time. (At this stage, I have no idea what the going rate is, though I have a budget.)

I thank you for your attention

Jako Malan

Hey Jako
    Would you tell more about what kind of city you want, show maybe some reference, style in which you want the map. It would help people know what you are after.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Hey Jako
    Would you tell more about what kind of city you want, show maybe some reference, style in which you want the map. It would help people know what you are after.
    I am still working on the exact specification, but here are some pointers.

The city in question is (was) a near-future, high density coastal settlement that, after about a century of standing barren, has been re-appropriated by a technologically less advanced civilization. It would be a jump back from somewhere in the 2100s back to the early 1900s. The look-and-feel will be very industrial. Almost Diesel-punk. Extremely polluted and dirty.

Rising sea levels and seismic activity would have collapsed some buildings and raised the water-table, turning many former streets into canals. A few decades of looting and stripping have left most of the concrete structures in tact, but anything else of value removed. Some of the infrastructure would have been replaced since re-settlement.

The city is its current form appears to be a central, built-up island with many outlying islets. These are mostly interconnected with steel and concrete bridges, again fashioned after the fact.

The city center is a large transport hub that connects roads, railways and water transport and houses most of the important civil structures.

Most of the inner city is connected by an urban surface/elevated railway that provides the population with transport. The city has an extensive retrofitted gas network and a very primitive and temperamental electrical and telegraph network. The engineering is crude throughout, creating a contrast with the clean lines of the concrete.

The city has one or two beaches and a harbour, which may or may not be interconnected.

There will be an extensive "water town" where a portion of the populace live on barges and floating platforms.

There will be a small green belt, which will house the city's elite. (Most of the city is void of trees and greenery because of wood stripping.)

There will be various heavy industrial areas, including one area that is too polluted to safely live in (aka a Poison Town.)

Travel within the game will be actioned by the player choosing a station on a metro-map. Each station will have a number of points of interest. There will be in the region of 15 stations.

In terms of the metro map, think something diagrammatic. It only follows the true contours of the map to an extent, but is optimized for easy reading. Something like...

http://www.metrorail.co.za/maps/CT_RailMap.pdf

In terms of the city map... I actually have no idea. It would be hand-drafted, but clear enough to reproduce in monochrome (to accommodate in-universe printing technology.) I am actually open to suggestions here.

I welcome any further questions!

Hmm, i may be interesed in this, but i am not sure as i usually do fantasy world maps. It all depends on how you envision this map to be. A simple monochrome map with roads and squares as buildings, or something more... sophisticated? fancy? Maybe you can find something on the internet similar to what you have in mind and show it?

I know there are others here who make more sci-fi maps maybe they could help with your project.

As for me, i kinda would like to make a sci-fi map, i am interested in this, but it depends on the style you want to have. You can see my porfolio here, though its all fantasy genre, i doubt you will find there style you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Hmm, i may be interesed in this, but i am not sure as i usually do fantasy world maps. It all depends on how you envision this map to be. A simple monochrome map with roads and squares as buildings, or something more... sophisticated? fancy? Maybe you can find something on the internet similar to what you have in mind and show it?

I know there are others here who make more sci-fi maps maybe they could help with your project.

As for me, i kinda would like to make a sci-fi map, i am interested in this, but it depends on the style you want to have. You can see my porfolio here, though its all fantasy genre, i doubt you will find there style you want.
    Hello all,

Thanks for reaching out (and also those who sent me direct messages!)

I've added your names and addresses to my project notes.

I am going to take my time going through the examples provided and will also be working on a more structured spec for the required maps. Keep an eye out!

Have a great weekend

Jako Malan

Hello. I'm willing to make to transportation map.
    Here is an exemple of what I can do :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ediacara-02.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	4.96 MB 
ID:	96160

I understand that your won't need something as detailed :-)