Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2017 Lite challenge: Scribble Rock

Thanks Voolf

I admit that first rocky pattern was a bit... 'tartan', wasn't it! LOL!

Just keeps getting better!
    You know, I didn't really believe you when you said the map was "done" 2 weeks ago. It was good then, it is amazing now.

As for the underwater rocks, they do look more "natural" now, BUT I have done a lot of diving and I have seen lots of perfectly straight underwater rock formations. Erosion is a strange and unpredictable phenomenon.
    Here is a screenshot from Google Satellite of a portion of Malibu Beach:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Malibu beach.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	96375

Aw thanks Bogie

That's a really useful reference shot. I wonder if those ridges relate to the strata? How strange.

Another thing I can see is that I may have gone a bit OTT with the surf in this latest version.

Also - I was just about to announce that I had finished it (again), when I realised I'd completely forgotten to put the paths back in! LOL!

But here it is with OTT surf

Name:	Scribble Rock GIMP 04.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	8.44 MB 
ID:	96376
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-11-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Ok. I've struggled and struggled with the waterline, and I know it just doesn't look right, but this is the best I can do, so I'm calling this done because I've reached the point where any further fiddling around with the details is going to make it worse rather than better

Final WIP

Name:	Scribble Rock GIMP 05.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	7.70 MB 
ID:	96387
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-11-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its just damn beautiful Mouse - if you do anymore you're go beyond that - and that poses danger to all of us - might break the space-time-continuum.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Its just damn beautiful Mouse - if you do anymore you're go beyond that - and that poses danger to all of us - might break the space-time-continuum.
    LOL! I guess you don't mind my 5th dimension 'alien cake-icing' surf line, then! Thank you so much for that Tilt - much appreciated

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    LOL! I guess you don't mind my 5th dimension 'alien cake-icing' surf line, then! Thank you so much for that Tilt - much appreciated
    Those who can't do, teach - so I'm teaching. Part of your surf problem is that it's universal. Surf is the waves crashing on shore. On an island that small, the waves are coming from one direction.

(Well, they could be coming from an out-flow river and perhaps something else odd over there as well as from the action of wind on current, but that interaction is beyond my ability to teach.)

Point is, think of the waves like light. Where the light hits you get surf. On the back of what's hit you get shadow. It's not flat and water being what it is the waves might well link back up, but at this scale the lee side is calm.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Beautiful map Mouse. It would really be a fun getaway.

As for the surf problem. Let me brainstorm here. I think a reason why it looks odd, is that you made it universal. It is around every single edge and I don't think that is natural. Having spent a lot of time on the rocks at the beach. What I remember is that there are places where there is a lot of white-wash and there are places where there is only a clear line of water against the rock.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by XCali; 06-08-2017 at 03:52 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by kirkspencer View Post
    Those who can't do, teach - so I'm teaching. Part of your surf problem is that it's universal. Surf is the waves crashing on shore. On an island that small, the waves are coming from one direction.

(Well, they could be coming from an out-flow river and perhaps something else odd over there as well as from the action of wind on current, but that interaction is beyond my ability to teach.)

Point is, think of the waves like light. Where the light hits you get surf. On the back of what's hit you get shadow. It's not flat and water being what it is the waves might well link back up, but at this scale the lee side is calm.
    Hmmm.... I see what you mean....

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Beautiful map Mouse. It would really be a fun getaway.

As for the surf problem. Let me brainstorm here. I think a reason why it looks odd, is that you made it universal. It is around every single edge and I don't think that is natural. Having spent a lot of time on the rocks at the beach. What I remember is that there are places where there is a lot of white-wash and there are places where there is only a clear line of water against the rock.

I hope this helps.
    LOL! Well I did say it was just like cake icing

But seriously - thank you both for your very kind suggestions and advice. I may give it another go before the challenge is over.

Fortunately I haven't merged anything down just yet

Beautiful, amazing map Sue!!
    Good advice being given about the directionality of the waves,
    or you could say that the island is in the eye of a hurricane and the waves are coming from all sides but that is kind of a lame excuse and there would be wind damage on the island from the first half passing through.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast