Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brynehall - question on switching perspective

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

I've only had time to poke at this here and there. I'd like to say it's final but I might play around with the sizing a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brynehall Town Map w Legend & Roads v4 (sm).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	101966

Haha, who was I kidding with this silly talk of a final map? Based on how my players use my maps in-game, I did away with the legend and instead put the labels directly over their locations. I've also made the map consistent with other maps I've created for other towns in the Barony of Northcliffe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brynehall Town Map v6 (sm).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	103302

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    You sound just like I did when I first started mapping

It takes a lot of effort to learn how to use a new style or perspective, but with that kind of enthusiasm you probably won't take as long as I did... er... am still doing

Just keep at it, and don't give up. Take breaks when you need them to replenish your drive, but never entirely give up, and you'll get there soon enough.

I'm probably telling you stuff you've already been told by others before me, but you might find Fantastic Maps a good source of 'how to' draw various things, like top down and ISO Mountain ranges - but don't make the mistake of trying to convert the map you are working on right now. Its a map with mixed perspectives, and that's what it rightly is. Its already got a style, and would only get messy if you tried to change it half way through. But if you want to do another version of the map with ISO or top down mountains, then Fantastic Maps is a really good place to start with the learning
    This has probably been said before - but Fantastic Maps tutorials on YouTube are a must for us budding mappers - the top down mountain tutorial completely changed my style and outlook on the whole process.
    "Mind is Emergent of Matter"

Thanks, MPG! I have viewed all of the Fantastic Maps tutorials and agree that they're, well, fantastic. I just didn't like the top-down look for mountains on this particular map and wanted to go with a mixed perspective.

For sure, aeshnidae, and the mixed perspective works really well on the Brynhall map; I have a world map I've been working on for an age and the perspective question kept troubling me...until I decided to just do what came natural - its a bronze age world, I chided myself, not modern...so I just got on with drawing what felt right. Mind you...watching MR. Fantastic Maps made me work a damn sight harder on the finished product than I had been.

Quote Originally Posted by MPG View Post
    For sure, aeshnidae, and the mixed perspective works really well on the Brynhall map; I have a world map I've been working on for an age and the perspective question kept troubling me...until I decided to just do what came natural - its a bronze age world, I chided myself, not modern...so I just got on with drawing what felt right. Mind you...watching MR. Fantastic Maps made me work a damn sight harder on the finished product than I had been.
    I have also had to remind myself that I'm mapping a fantasy world and that getting everything 100% "right" by modern standards is really not necessary. Medieval cartographers used mixed perspectives quite frequently!

Is your world map posted somewhere on Cartographer's Guild? I just saw your Na-Du map and love it!

Very glad you liked the Na-Du map, its a bit of a load-stone for me in that its taken me ten years to get that far, and I know I can make it look better...but its all about time and effort put in I reckon, and life just gets distracting from fantasy sometimes, damn it! Here's the last draft of the world map, currently under a massive revision to bring it in line with the much revised world view for a book, which is in its fifty tenth revision...blah...blah..(.good grief I'm still writing!) and what I learnt on Fantastic YouTube tutorials You know the score, I reckon: just not enough time in the day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Ancient Lands of MU.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	103307  

Ooh, I like it! Great map, MPG! And yes, life gets hectic and interferes with fantasy cartography. I haven't been able to participate in the monthly Cartographer's Guild challenges because work is incredibly busy and we recently adopted a super energetic dog (he's not yet 2 so he's still got the puppy crazies).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12