Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: World of Thersis

I mean the effect of the raised and lowered sea areas.

Which program (and which feature in that program) did you use? Do you have a tutorial you can link to for achieving this effect?

Any help is much appreciated.

C

Naima, I continue to be so impressed by your work on this map. Thersis is simply awe-inspiring in its wonderful details; there's just so much to unpack - I can't decide what I like best. I hold it as a model for my own work.

As I am always looking to improve my ability to create terrain and mountains, (as an echo to Courage's request) I was hoping you might feel comfortable sharing how you achieved your specific terrain and mountains for this map. I know you used a combination of Fractal Terrains, Wilbur, WorldMachine, and Photoshop, and that you posted a list of excellent tutorials in the finished map thread, but I am extremely curious what your exact workflow was. I would be immensely obliged to you if you would be willing.

Quote Originally Posted by Courage View Post
    I mean the effect of the raised and lowered sea areas.

Which program (and which feature in that program) did you use? Do you have a tutorial you can link to for achieving this effect?

Any help is much appreciated.

C
    Well that is simply a fractal generation and then lowered sea level ( or better rised ) , if you refer instead on the sea level on the final map then its a manual work inside fractal terrain creating mountains and fractures and then refining and making them realistic in photoshop pass .

Quote Originally Posted by antillies View Post
    Naima, I continue to be so impressed by your work on this map. Thersis is simply awe-inspiring in its wonderful details; there's just so much to unpack - I can't decide what I like best. I hold it as a model for my own work.

As I am always looking to improve my ability to create terrain and mountains, (as an echo to Courage's request) I was hoping you might feel comfortable sharing how you achieved your specific terrain and mountains for this map. I know you used a combination of Fractal Terrains, Wilbur, WorldMachine, and Photoshop, and that you posted a list of excellent tutorials in the finished map thread, but I am extremely curious what your exact workflow was. I would be immensely obliged to you if you would be willing.
    I didn't make a tutorial because it is very much the same as the tutorials I followed, the only different thing is the edition of the maps manually to achieve the effects I wanted, even modifying entire blocks of heightmap to give the specific shape I want, then check the results in wilbur and if I didn't like edit some more both in wilbur and photoshop, in some cases wilbur doesn't provide me with the desired results so I have to go manually in making edits , especially on coasts.So the largest part of the workflow is Wilbur and manual editing , back and forth , modify , check , change . While all the generation process is the same or similar to the world of Israh tutorial , with the similar workflow, I just change erosion and process described to what I like and not follow the path at the same steps.
    Sorry I couln't be more helpfull than that .

I just wanted to test the tectonic tool and I got this results, not bad, a bit low res and hard to use practically but interesting to see the the possible evolition of your own words.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/c738/f..._a-dd2pwgz.gif

Can't believe I'm only just now discovering this, but it's fantastic! Beautiful map so far, and some very cool tools used. Very inspirational as I work on my own project.

Thankyou very much .

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567