Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Tiles

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Where a passage has a door or branching passage should I do them with variations for both 5ft & 10ft doors and/or passages if applicable?
    Looks good, my friend! I am truly excited to see the progress. I would think doing both variations would be more beneficial, because the transition into/out of a 5' hall has a major impact on the structure of combat, puzzles, and traps. At least when I play/GM, I find constricting passageways to a single character wide offers a great tool that is lost with a 10'. This will more than double the work, but I think it is truly worth it.
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*

Quote Originally Posted by flyenemu View Post
    Looks good, my friend!
    Thanks mate. I'm going to change them slightly, where the doors are I'm not going to continue with the passage to make it obvious that it's a door, otherwise they're barely distinguishable from the other tile.

I am truly excited to see the progress. I would think doing both variations would be more beneficial, because the transition into/out of a 5' hall has a major impact on the structure of combat, puzzles, and traps. At least when I play/GM, I find constricting passageways to a single character wide offers a great tool that is lost with a 10'. This will more than double the work, but I think it is truly worth it.
    I was leaning towards doing that, obviously a 5ft passage that ends in a door will only have a single door...
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Yet another update. A couple of the modified starting areas (which are now done! I'm not changing them again (...yet)

These are the versions with grids I also have them without. For doors (I'm going to do single & double, wood, stone, iron & portcullis') and blank wall sections, for VTT use are they better as PNG or JPEG or doesn't it matter?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA2-1G.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	97652 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA4G.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	97653 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA7G.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	97654

Finished Maps

Looking better every time you post an update, friend! I like your idea for doors, and can see how they could be used! My only worry would be how the addition of a tile less than a 5' square would change how the tiles would line up. For example: take the round room you provided in the previous post, and make the south hall the entrance/exit. If I build on the east and north exits with the desire that they later on meet, if one path has more doors, portcullis, walls, etc. than the other before they meet there will be a gap between the two paths. A way to fix this would be to use 'door' tiles as the connectors between rolled areas (halls, rooms, etc.). This can be done by including a tile for 5' and 10' offshoots that is simply blank. If you want to go a step further, you make all of the halls and rooms have a male connector end, and the doors a female, requiring them to be used. That may be a bit overkill and focused too much on the physical side of things, however, you might be able to set it up so VTT requires these door or transition segments to follow the room/halls (please note that I have no experience with VTT or any other digital battle map system). In conclusion, I find your work continues to show positive progression, and look forward to that which is to come.
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*

Looking better every time you post an update, friend!
    Thanks mate. I'm refining as I go and I think I've got my workflow (that's a really popular buzzword down pat now.

I like your idea for doors, and can see how they could be used! My only worry would be how the addition of a tile less than a 5' square would change how the tiles would line up. For example: take the round room you provided in the previous post, and make the south hall the entrance/exit. If I build on the east and north exits with the desire that they later on meet, if one path has more doors, portcullis, walls, etc. than the other before they meet there will be a gap between the two paths. A way to fix this would be to use 'door' tiles as the connectors between rolled areas (halls, rooms, etc.). This can be done by including a tile for 5' and 10' offshoots that is simply blank. If you want to go a step further, you make all of the halls and rooms have a male connector end, and the doors a female, requiring them to be used. That may be a bit overkill and focused too much on the physical side of things, however, you might be able to set it up so VTT requires these door or transition segments to follow the room/halls (please note that I have no experience with VTT or any other digital battle map system). In conclusion, I find your work continues to show positive progression, and look forward to that which is to come.
    Fear not! The other passage and chamber tiles will more than likely take care of these types of problems. Once you "randomly" roll your basic design if something doesn't quite work for you or you want to, as you suggest, add some form of connection between two points it should be just a simple matter of swapping out or adding an appropriate tile. I'm creating ALL of the passages in 5ft & 10ft widths, for the larger widths I may just do a selection as they will be fairly rare given the instructions in the DMG. I'm creating all the tiles in such a manner that the passage tiles can be either placed on top or below the chamber tiles. I'll post some examples shortly.

Thanks for your support and suggestions flyenemu, I really do value your contributions to this idea.

Finished Maps

As promised here are a couple of sample passages.

You'll be able to see how they can be used in conjunction with the starting area's and used as interconnecting pieces. These are still a WIP at the moment, i.e. not labelled etc. I'm also doing 10ft and 5ft wall sections for secret doors and stuff.

Name:	sample passage 1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	97735 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample passage 2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	97736 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample passage 3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	97737

Here is a very quick mini-dungeon to give you an idea of how they can be used.

Name:	Sample Dungeon.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	346.9 KB 
ID:	97738
    Last edited by damonjynx; 07-20-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Finished Maps

Aha! I see your progress, and I am impressed with how it looks! As long as you have thought over the spacing of the 'door' tiles then I would imagine you are good to go! I look forward to seeing more in the days to come.

Bugger me! Nearly 2 years ago since I started this. Wow, didn't think it was that long ago.

I've decided that as I nudge ever closer to retirement - turned 56 a couple of weeks ago - I'm going to finish these damn tiles off. I will create them all, as previously mentioned, at 100 ppi for the DM's Guild product and then re-scale for specific VTT's, i.e. Roll20 and so on. Did a little experiment this morning to ensure this will work.

Now, a question I have is this; the VTT's prefer jpeg for maps, PNG for assets (furnishings, tokens etc.), should I add a background to the tiles or simply make my selection the tile itself so there is no 'white space' at all in the jpeg, similar to the passages in the above post?

Edit: Just realised that Ps adds a white background to JPEG's regardless...
    Last edited by damonjynx; 03-17-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Finished Maps

Hi All,

Given the sheer number of variants to each chamber, see an earlier post, I have decided to simply create the 12 chambers as closed shapes. I have also created, 5ft and 10ft door openings and corridor pieces that can be placed over the walls in appropriate positions. I think this is the most elegant and simplest solution. Thoughts? I may, to assist those that prefer 2.5D dungeons, create some appropriate door pieces, I'll hve to look at some existing exponents of that style and see how they do their doors...

Finished Maps

Hi All,

Unfortunately, I will have to re-do all the tiles. While the tiles as posted above on this page are fine for printing/laminating & VTT use, they are not particularly friendly for the 2.5D market. The wall section is 3/10th's of inch wide and overlaps the floor space by 1/10th of an inch. This would make it very fiddly for the 2.5D enthusiasts to cut out and line up the wall sections. To correct that minor issue, which is a major headache, I have decided to re-do the walls 3/8th's of inch wide and have them line up to grid rather than have the slight overlap. While this will involve a fair amount of work, I believe it will make for a much more versatile product. Stay tuned...

Finished Maps

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast