Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Tiles

Quote Originally Posted by flyenemu
    My only concern regarding this phase of your project is the assumption that all visible exits from the entry room are 10’ wide. I understand why it is you went with this, and my only counter is in regards to the possibility of rolling a door or pathway to the contrary. However, I find it to be a very small problem, as I prefer all major exits from the entry to be 10’, with storage rooms and secret passages as the only exception. Keep up the beautiful work!! 
    Hi Flyenemu,
    Firstly, let me say thanks for your continued input and support - it means a lot!. I understand your concerns re my assumption, however, I have to start somewhere and limit the project in some manner otherwise it would be never ending. Looking at the starting areas alone, area one has 5 possible variants for the passages; 4 x 5ft, 4 x 10ft, 1 x 5ft 3 x 10ft, 2 of each and 3 x 5ft 1 x 10ft and that is a simple square room with a passage on each face so orientation doesn't matter. The same goes for starting areas 6 & 7 (the circular ones), so that's 15 tiles without making much of an effort! Actual passages and chambers are worse! So, while my tiles will be based on the 5E DMG random tables, rather than create tiles for EVERY possible outcome, I'll create a few variants of each and modify my tables to suit. So in the case of the above, instead of starting areas being a D10 (for non-gamers reading this, D# refers to how many faces the die have, so D10 is a 10-sided die) as per the DMG and rolling for passages, it's a straight D12 roll...Looking at the chambers, there are 12 types, 5 of which can have any any number of exits from 0-4, the other 7 can have up to 6, there are 2 types of exits, passages and doors, and there are up to 4 possible locations for each exit. then the passages there are 11 which can have 8 possible variants re width (limited by the size of their chamber/branching passage) and so on. I've no idea how to work out the total number of possible combinations but I'm sure it would be in the hundreds...that won't be happening! #ain'tnoonegottimefodat
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Guild Journeyer

Just a couple observations from my experience;
    - On the DMsG, I'm not a fan of PWYW. IMO it devalues your product (people download stuff just because they can get it free, even if they never open it). Charge at least a dollar, or more likely several.
    - If you want them usable on VTT's, most currently suggest 10 pixels/foot (50 px/square), but I expect changes in the next year or two will push this recommendation to 20 px/ft in the next year. JPG is preferred unless you are using transparency (for doors or traps overlays). JPG quality can be anywhere between 40-70%.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Hi Flyenemu,
    Firstly, let me say thanks for your continued input and support - it means a lot!. I understand your concerns re my assumption, however, I have to start somewhere and limit the project in some manner otherwise it would be never ending. Looking at the starting areas alone, area one has 5 possible variants for the passages; 4 x 5ft, 4 x 10ft, 1 x 5ft 3 x 10ft, 2 of each and 3 x 5ft 1 x 10ft and that is a simple square room with a passage on each face so orientation doesn't matter. The same goes for starting areas 6 & 7 (the circular ones), so that's 15 tiles without making much of an effort! Actual passages and chambers are worse! So, while my tiles will be based on the 5E DMG random tables, rather than create tiles for EVERY possible outcome, I'll create a few variants of each and modify my tables to suit. So in the case of the above, instead of starting areas being a D10 (for non-gamers reading this, D# refers to how many faces the die have, so D10 is a 10-sided die) as per the DMG and rolling for passages, it's a straight D12 roll...Looking at the chambers, there are 12 types, 5 of which can have any any number of exits from 0-4, the other 7 can have up to 6, there are 2 types of exits, passages and doors, and there are up to 4 possible locations for each exit. then the passages there are 11 which can have 8 possible variants re width (limited by the size of their chamber/branching passage) and so on. I've no idea how to work out the total number of possible combinations but I'm sure it would be in the hundreds...that won't be happening! #ain'tnoonegottimefodat
    Damonjynx,

It is my pleasure to be a valued source of input for your project! That being said, I must agree with your direction on this project. There is no true need to create all the variations as it would indeed be quite an undertaking that would offer little reward.

In case you were wondering, the formula for determining the possible outcome combinations is: "nCr=n!/r!*(n-r)!", where 'n' is the number of items, and 'r' is the number of options to be decided at a given time. For further information regarding this process I would review the following link: http://study.com/academy/lesson/how-...binations.html . More of an FYI. #toomuchtimeonmyhands #styxftw
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Just a couple observations from my experience;
    - On the DMsG, I'm not a fan of PWYW. IMO it devalues your product (people download stuff just because they can get it free, even if they never open it). Charge at least a dollar, or more likely several.
    - If you want them usable on VTT's, most currently suggest 10 pixels/foot (50 px/square), but I expect changes in the next year or two will push this recommendation to 20 px/ft in the next year. JPG is preferred unless you are using transparency (for doors or traps overlays). JPG quality can be anywhere between 40-70%.
    Hi Mate, the further I think about what I'm offering see the above posts re number of possible combinations, it's insane, the more I'm valuing it. PWYW won't be an option. As for the jpegs I'm working at 20px per foot at the moment. If someone wants to use them where that is not the correct size they'll have to scale it, Roll20 is 14px per foot I think for their standard grid.

Finished Maps

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Hi Mate, the further I think about what I'm offering see the above posts re number of possible combinations, it's insane, the more I'm valuing it. PWYW won't be an option. As for the jpegs I'm working at 20px per foot at the moment. If someone wants to use them where that is not the correct size they'll have to scale it, Roll20 is 14px per foot I think for their standard grid.
    I believe most of the VTT's allow you to size the grid to what you want. 10/20 is just the recommendation. I'm pretty sure Roll20 allows that too, but I'm not sure as I use FG (which allows you to set it to whatever value you want.

What you are coming up with is definitely valuable. You might even reach out to some of the VTT's to see about getting into their store or future products. I know Map Forge had a successful Kickstarter and they are a tile based mapper and just might be perfect outlet for you.

Thanks LordEntrails, I'll bear that in mind. Once I get further down the track with it, read that as get the tiles drawn, I'll see where I'm at and take it from there. I've quite a bit of work to do to create a saleable product yet.

Finished Maps

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected NathanC's Avatar

I would suggest reaching out to the guys at d20pro they one of the three big vtt guys out there and they are alway looking for content.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanC View Post
    I would suggest reaching out to the guys at d20pro they one of the three big vtt guys out there and they are alway looking for content.
    Thanks, Nathan. I'll be sure to check them out when I'm done.

Finished Maps

Ok Peeps,

Here are the first 3 starting area jpegs. I'm thinking these are good to go. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA1-G.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	97522 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA2-1G.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	97523 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA2-2G.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	97524

The plan is you roll a D10 (there are 10 starting areas) if you roll a 2, then you roll a D3 because there are 3 variations of this area (i'm showing 2 here). This will be in the instructions page...

Finished Maps

Question re Passages

Where a passage has a door or branching passage should I do them with variations for both 5ft & 10ft doors and/or passages if applicable?

Finished Maps

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast