Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Tiles

Quote Originally Posted by flyenemu
    Damonjynx,

I think you have a really good idea going here, and look forward to seeing it continue towards completion.
    Thanks mate, I think so too.

Below is a sample of the tiles without the background thrown together higeldy-pigedly. Bear in mind these are the entrances only at this stage along with a couple of passages. It demonstartes (rather poorly) how the tiles could be used at the table.

I found that for this purpose, it looks better without the background, which is how I will print them for my own use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B&W Tile Test.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	96755
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Thanks mate, I think so too.

Below is a sample of the tiles without the background thrown together higeldy-pigedly. Bear in mind these are the entrances only at this stage along with a couple of passages. It demonstartes (rather poorly) how the tiles could be used at the table.

I found that for this purpose, it looks better without the background, which is how I will print them for my own use.

Name:	B&W Tile Test.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	96755
    Damonjynx,

I can see how it will come together quite nicely! Keep up the good work
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*

Thanks Flyenemu.

Here is an update. I think I'll release them as a package of jpeg files, with & without grid; Starting Area's, Chambers and Passages. I'll also include a small-ish PDF document with suggestions for use etc.

I'm open for suggestions on what people would prefer for single doorways; the hinge on a grid line, or the gridline centred on the opening?

Here is the first entry and passage tiles:

Name:	SA-1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	346.8 KB 
ID:	96786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1-2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	96787

Finished Maps

Thanks Flyenemu.

Here is an update. I think I'll release them as a package of jpeg files, with & without grid; Starting Area's, Chambers and Passages. I'll also include a small-ish PDF document with suggestions for use etc.

I'm open for suggestions on what people would prefer for single doorways; the hinge on a grid line, or the gridline centred on the opening?

Here is the first entry and passage tiles:

Name:	SA-1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	346.8 KB 
ID:	96786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1-2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	96787
    Damonjynx,

Doorways, Traps, Hazards, Treasure, Themes , Monsters, and other interior additions that populate a dungeon might be hard to do with tiles. Each transition between one random room or passage has a chance of having one of several different types of doors, possibly trapped, if my memory is right (don't have my book on me ATM). This section of the random dungeon generation process might cause quite a bit more work depending on how you plan on representing it on your tiles. If you make each door type a separate tile you would need to figure out how it can seamlessly be implemented without throwing off your grid. How you envision your tiles being used greatly changes what options you can have, or so I think.

You could take a look at what WOTC has done with their D&D board games for reference, but that might warrant a cease and desist letter if you plan on profiting from it in any way. If it were me, I would pull up Microsoft Office/Open Office and using an Excel document with columns and rows of identical size (thus creating a grid that is theoretically 1mil x 16000) I would insert your images and snap them to the grid. If done this way, doors and other interior stuffs can be placed over the hall, room, etc. image.

You have quite a lot of options at this point in your project, and no matter which way you go with it I feel it will be quite grand. Keep up the great work!
    Last edited by flyenemu; 06-22-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: formatting
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*

Hi Flyenemu,

I printed the first page out to give them a real "test" and I think what I'll do is leave the single doors hinged on a gridline, this means that if the door opens into a 10ft passage you just have to ensure you line up the walls on one side (see attached pic). Obviously it won't matter for 5ft passages.

Name:	Print test.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	96818

When cutting out the tiles the white space between the walls of the doorway will need to be cut-out.

I'd like to hear your opinion re the flagstone post...

Finished Maps

Hi Flyenemu,

I printed the first page out to give them a real "test" and I think what I'll do is leave the single doors hinged on a gridline, this means that if the door opens into a 10ft passage you just have to ensure you line up the walls on one side (see attached pic). Obviously it won't matter for 5ft passages.

Name:	Print test.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	96818

When cutting out the tiles the white space between the walls of the doorway will need to be cut-out.

I'd like to hear your opinion re the flagstone post...
    Damonjynx,

I like how it looks! Quite professional and easy to read. I am still a little concerned on how doors may work as some are going to be hidden, and how you will indicate which direction a door opens (can be quite important when trying to peek into a room). Have you designed it so the grid is sized for standard miniatures? Have you thought about including spell AOE templates?

Quote Originally Posted by flyenemu
    Damonjynx,

I like how it looks! Quite professional and easy to read. I am still a little concerned on how doors may work as some are going to be hidden, and how you will indicate which direction a door opens (can be quite important when trying to peek into a room). Have you designed it so the grid is sized for standard miniatures? Have you thought about including spell AOE templates?
    Hi Mate, all the tiles are being done at 100ppi with the grid at the same scale, so yes, for use with standard mini's.

Re doors and other assets; Doors, my intention was to leave a 3ft gap for single doors and a 6ft gap for double doors (900mm & 1800mm for metric folk) and I was thinking GM's could either draw on the tiles (once laminated of course) or they could download them; Bogie & Torstan (aka Jonathon Roberts) here on the guild and numerous other have assets available for download, just Google Dundjinni xxxx where xxx is what you're looking for, so I wasn't really going to do them, I suppose in the interest of offering a complete package, I could make up some wooden, stone and particularly blank wall tiles.
    Last edited by damonjynx; 06-25-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Finished Maps

Looks great! Easy to see, looks in style of many finished professional products
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureDepot View Post
    Looks great! Easy to see, looks in style of many finished professional products
    Welcome to the party AdventureDepot. This is what I'm aiming for. I've started re-doing them in A0, so I can have multiple assets per page. Then I'll select each asset (using paths), copy them, with & without grid to a new PS document exactly the size of the asset, and save them as jpeg's in separate folders; Starting Areas, Passages & Chambers. Then, once I have all the assets, I'll combine them into a PDF document using Indesign and load them up to the DM Guild... a bit of work but it only took me a half an hour at lunch today to do the basic floor plan of each starting area. I'm making an assumption that all passages exiting a starting area are 10ft and all doors are double. The chambers & passages will take the most work as there are so many possible combinations of doors and passages widths...I don't think it would be possible to cover every possible combination but I'll do a few variants of each.

Below is a WIP of the starting areas.

Name:	Starting Areas_WIP.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	96924

Finished Maps

Hi Mate, all the tiles are being done at 100ppi with the grid at the same scale, so yes, for use with standard mini's.

Re doors and other assets; Doors, my intention was to leave a 3ft gap for single doors and a 6ft gap for double doors (900mm & 1800mm for metric folk) and I was thinking GM's could either draw on the tiles (once laminated of course) or they could download them; Bogie & Torstan (aka Jonathon Roberts) here on the guild and numerous other have assets available for download, just Google Dundjinni xxxx where xxx is what you're looking for, so I wasn't really going to do them, I suppose in the interest of offering a complete package, I could make up some wooden, stone and particularly blank wall tiles.
    Damonjynx,

I am glad to hear you have already thought about the grid size and how it will fit with standard minis! That will make your project even more DM friendly. As I stated in the Flagstone thread, I think the space for doors rather than including them pre-planted is very wise, and will allow DMs to better control what they are building from the random tables. Furthermore, there are several minis for tables, chairs, chests, etc. and there is no need to include them in your set. When I have time I will have to look at your google docs to give you better feedback on that.
    Welcome to the party AdventureDepot. This is what I'm aiming for. I've started re-doing them in A0, so I can have multiple assets per page. Then I'll select each asset (using paths), copy them, with & without grid to a new PS document exactly the size of the asset, and save them as jpeg's in separate folders; Starting Areas, Passages & Chambers. Then, once I have all the assets, I'll combine them into a PDF document using Indesign and load them up to the DM Guild... a bit of work but it only took me a half an hour at lunch today to do the basic floor plan of each starting area. I'm making an assumption that all passages exiting a starting area are 10ft and all doors are double. The chambers & passages will take the most work as there are so many possible combinations of doors and passages widths...I don't think it would be possible to cover every possible combination but I'll do a few variants of each.

Below is a WIP of the starting areas.

Name:	Starting Areas_WIP.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	96924
    My only concern regarding this phase of your project is the assumption that all visible exits from the entry room are 10’ wide. I understand why it is you went with this, and my only counter is in regards to the possibility of rolling a door or pathway to the contrary. However, I find it to be a very small problem, as I prefer all major exits from the entry to be 10’, with storage rooms and secret passages as the only exception. Keep up the beautiful work!! 

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast