Thread: Dungeon Tiles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looks great! Easy to see, looks in style of many finished professional products
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureDepot View Post
    Looks great! Easy to see, looks in style of many finished professional products
    Welcome to the party AdventureDepot. This is what I'm aiming for. I've started re-doing them in A0, so I can have multiple assets per page. Then I'll select each asset (using paths), copy them, with & without grid to a new PS document exactly the size of the asset, and save them as jpeg's in separate folders; Starting Areas, Passages & Chambers. Then, once I have all the assets, I'll combine them into a PDF document using Indesign and load them up to the DM Guild... a bit of work but it only took me a half an hour at lunch today to do the basic floor plan of each starting area. I'm making an assumption that all passages exiting a starting area are 10ft and all doors are double. The chambers & passages will take the most work as there are so many possible combinations of doors and passages widths...I don't think it would be possible to cover every possible combination but I'll do a few variants of each.

Below is a WIP of the starting areas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starting Areas_WIP.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	96924
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Hi Mate, all the tiles are being done at 100ppi with the grid at the same scale, so yes, for use with standard mini's.

Re doors and other assets; Doors, my intention was to leave a 3ft gap for single doors and a 6ft gap for double doors (900mm & 1800mm for metric folk) and I was thinking GM's could either draw on the tiles (once laminated of course) or they could download them; Bogie & Torstan (aka Jonathon Roberts) here on the guild and numerous other have assets available for download, just Google Dundjinni xxxx where xxx is what you're looking for, so I wasn't really going to do them, I suppose in the interest of offering a complete package, I could make up some wooden, stone and particularly blank wall tiles.
    Damonjynx,

I am glad to hear you have already thought about the grid size and how it will fit with standard minis! That will make your project even more DM friendly. As I stated in the Flagstone thread, I think the space for doors rather than including them pre-planted is very wise, and will allow DMs to better control what they are building from the random tables. Furthermore, there are several minis for tables, chairs, chests, etc. and there is no need to include them in your set. When I have time I will have to look at your google docs to give you better feedback on that.
    Welcome to the party AdventureDepot. This is what I'm aiming for. I've started re-doing them in A0, so I can have multiple assets per page. Then I'll select each asset (using paths), copy them, with & without grid to a new PS document exactly the size of the asset, and save them as jpeg's in separate folders; Starting Areas, Passages & Chambers. Then, once I have all the assets, I'll combine them into a PDF document using Indesign and load them up to the DM Guild... a bit of work but it only took me a half an hour at lunch today to do the basic floor plan of each starting area. I'm making an assumption that all passages exiting a starting area are 10ft and all doors are double. The chambers & passages will take the most work as there are so many possible combinations of doors and passages widths...I don't think it would be possible to cover every possible combination but I'll do a few variants of each.

Below is a WIP of the starting areas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starting Areas_WIP.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	96924
    My only concern regarding this phase of your project is the assumption that all visible exits from the entry room are 10’ wide. I understand why it is you went with this, and my only counter is in regards to the possibility of rolling a door or pathway to the contrary. However, I find it to be a very small problem, as I prefer all major exits from the entry to be 10’, with storage rooms and secret passages as the only exception. Keep up the beautiful work!! 
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*

Quote Originally Posted by flyenemu
    My only concern regarding this phase of your project is the assumption that all visible exits from the entry room are 10’ wide. I understand why it is you went with this, and my only counter is in regards to the possibility of rolling a door or pathway to the contrary. However, I find it to be a very small problem, as I prefer all major exits from the entry to be 10’, with storage rooms and secret passages as the only exception. Keep up the beautiful work!! 
    Hi Flyenemu,
    Firstly, let me say thanks for your continued input and support - it means a lot!. I understand your concerns re my assumption, however, I have to start somewhere and limit the project in some manner otherwise it would be never ending. Looking at the starting areas alone, area one has 5 possible variants for the passages; 4 x 5ft, 4 x 10ft, 1 x 5ft 3 x 10ft, 2 of each and 3 x 5ft 1 x 10ft and that is a simple square room with a passage on each face so orientation doesn't matter. The same goes for starting areas 6 & 7 (the circular ones), so that's 15 tiles without making much of an effort! Actual passages and chambers are worse! So, while my tiles will be based on the 5E DMG random tables, rather than create tiles for EVERY possible outcome, I'll create a few variants of each and modify my tables to suit. So in the case of the above, instead of starting areas being a D10 (for non-gamers reading this, D# refers to how many faces the die have, so D10 is a 10-sided die) as per the DMG and rolling for passages, it's a straight D12 roll...Looking at the chambers, there are 12 types, 5 of which can have any any number of exits from 0-4, the other 7 can have up to 6, there are 2 types of exits, passages and doors, and there are up to 4 possible locations for each exit. then the passages there are 11 which can have 8 possible variants re width (limited by the size of their chamber/branching passage) and so on. I've no idea how to work out the total number of possible combinations but I'm sure it would be in the hundreds...that won't be happening! #ain'tnoonegottimefodat
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

Hi Flyenemu,
    Firstly, let me say thanks for your continued input and support - it means a lot!. I understand your concerns re my assumption, however, I have to start somewhere and limit the project in some manner otherwise it would be never ending. Looking at the starting areas alone, area one has 5 possible variants for the passages; 4 x 5ft, 4 x 10ft, 1 x 5ft 3 x 10ft, 2 of each and 3 x 5ft 1 x 10ft and that is a simple square room with a passage on each face so orientation doesn't matter. The same goes for starting areas 6 & 7 (the circular ones), so that's 15 tiles without making much of an effort! Actual passages and chambers are worse! So, while my tiles will be based on the 5E DMG random tables, rather than create tiles for EVERY possible outcome, I'll create a few variants of each and modify my tables to suit. So in the case of the above, instead of starting areas being a D10 (for non-gamers reading this, D# refers to how many faces the die have, so D10 is a 10-sided die) as per the DMG and rolling for passages, it's a straight D12 roll...Looking at the chambers, there are 12 types, 5 of which can have any any number of exits from 0-4, the other 7 can have up to 6, there are 2 types of exits, passages and doors, and there are up to 4 possible locations for each exit. then the passages there are 11 which can have 8 possible variants re width (limited by the size of their chamber/branching passage) and so on. I've no idea how to work out the total number of possible combinations but I'm sure it would be in the hundreds...that won't be happening! #ain'tnoonegottimefodat
    Damonjynx,

It is my pleasure to be a valued source of input for your project! That being said, I must agree with your direction on this project. There is no true need to create all the variations as it would indeed be quite an undertaking that would offer little reward.

In case you were wondering, the formula for determining the possible outcome combinations is: "nCr=n!/r!*(n-r)!", where 'n' is the number of items, and 'r' is the number of options to be decided at a given time. For further information regarding this process I would review the following link: http://study.com/academy/lesson/how-...binations.html . More of an FYI. #toomuchtimeonmyhands #styxftw
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*