Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arda Quain realms

Well the way you do things always looks very classy to me

Au vu des labels en français, je me permet de dire que c'est impressionnant pour un premier post

Very good job for a first post !

@ Diamond : Thank you, it's a pleasure to read such comments ! I'm a bit more enthouastic to show some work here. By the way do you have some examples of maps you're talking about ? (I did not read yet in the 70's since I wasn't born :p)

@ Mouse : As our colleague said, it wasn't awkwardness dude, I posted it to get feelings and criticisms I dont have downloaded GIMP yet, but I'll do it in the next few days, at least to try.

@ ThomasR : Merci beaucoup ! I hope the next ones will be better, but I need to finish this one before. I'll update with the colors made with color pencils when finished.

It makes a long time that I develop a complete RPG campaign univers, not so much to play as to relax and dream, and this map is the third I drew for it (because I didn't like the two previous ones I made). I think this one would be the last but nothing is never sure...
    Anyway, I have a lot of work mapping all the territories their own scales. Theoriticaly, 8 maps are incoming but I don't know when I'll have the time to do so ^^

Here's a special I just finished to outline (already took me something like 6 hours) : this presents the underworld of the continent (so that's why the general shape is pretty the same).
    I actually felt lonely when I was looking for some maps of underground large scaled (apart the Underdark from D&D Forgotten Realms, and even this one is pretty ugly). If someone has some links with examples of large undergrounds to share, I'd appreciate

I did't put any labelling for now because I don't have all the names yet, and I'm not sure of the geopolitical atmosphere also. Anyway before updating it I'll blacken the areas which need to be (eg. the walls and pillars) and put "under-seas" and "mushroom vegetations". I also want to colorize with various grey the different dephts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	170613_AQ_MAP_The_Underworld.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	96495

Interesting start. I like what i can guess at in this map. The resolution is way to low to really comment on the map in more detail, though (talking about the labeled one in the first post). So i hope you can provide us with a higher resolution. As Diamond says, looks promising and has that certain Fantasy-Novel vibe.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veldrin View Post
    @ Diamond : Thank you, it's a pleasure to read such comments ! I'm a bit more enthouastic to show some work here. By the way do you have some examples of maps you're talking about ? (I did not read yet in the 70's since I wasn't born :p)
    Yes, I am old.

Let's see: Do a search for maps from Earthsea, Melnibone (Elric), Pern, the Belgariad series, stuff by Lawrence Watt Evans, Dennis McKiernan, the list goes on. That will give you an idea of what I mean. Basically B&W maps from before the dawn of photoshop.

I really like the latest map

(I'm a girl-mouse btw, but I know my avatar name makes it difficult to guess, so you aren't the first, and I forgive you with a chuckle )

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Yes, I am old.

Let's see: Do a search for maps from Earthsea, Melnibone (Elric), Pern, the Belgariad series, stuff by Lawrence Watt Evans, Dennis McKiernan, the list goes on. That will give you an idea of what I mean. Basically B&W maps from before the dawn of photoshop.
    I remember them as well - but evidently not as clearly!

Anne McCaffrey, and Ursula le Guin were my favourite authors back then - so you and I can be old together, D
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-14-2017 at 03:29 AM.

Aww Mousie, I'll be old with you any time!

Veldrin, here's an example of what I mean. I think this might be from an old Karl E. Wagner book, but I don't remember for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kregen_havilfar_map.gif 
Views:	40 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	96528  

Sorry Mouse ! I feel a little bit stupid.. nevermind

Yes Diamond I cheked everything you cited, I guess that the black and white style makes it resembling. But I honestly find more details in mine, without bragging :p especially the last one for which I tried to be as acurate as possible, even if I assume that it would be even more with a graph pad.

Oh no doubt yours has more detail! That's what I love about it, and that style in general - you can fit craploads of detail in and it's still legible (in most cases).

Quote Originally Posted by Veldrin View Post
    Sorry Mouse ! I feel a little bit stupid.. nevermind
    No need - stop beating yourself up

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast