Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arda Quain realms

Default Arda Quain realms

Hey buddies,

let's present you the map I'm currently working on.

I'm a casual draftsman, I work with black ink pens of various widths. When the map is done, I put some text using MS Powerpoint (dont blame me! I'm casual I said).

Here the black & white map :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	170612_AQ_MAP_ppt_noname_expt.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	96470

And here's the same with some names, even if it's not finished yet :

Name:	170612_AQ_MAP_ppt_expt.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	96471

Hope you'll get some constructive comments !

Cheers

Ah ha! You said you made maps in PP, but that wasn't exactly the whole truth! You only label them in PP, which isn't the same thing.

The map itself is an excellent drawing, but because its so good the labelling is spoiling the map quite a bit.

Have you considered downloading and installing GIMP? Its free, and once you get used to using it, it will greatly improve your labelling - bringing it closer to the much higher standard of your mapping

Rep for the map...

I really like this map! In your introduction post you presented yourself very uncertain about your work, but this map is really great! The unlabeled version is absolutely amazing! At first I didn't even realise that the labels were done in PP, so I'd say you really did a great job with that! Great work!

@ Mouse : Well I said that I don't use any software except MSP, I didn't say I draw maps on MSP :p by the way you're right, I only label the maps with this *biip*
    Thanks for your advice, I never tried GIMP but since you adviced (and since it's free also) I'll see this asap !

@ DanielHasenbos : Thank you dude! I use MSP at work almost every day so I start to know how to use it the better way... but it's still not the right way to do it anyway ^^

GIMP can be a bit frustrating at times, so take your time and be patient with yourself.

Paths are very useful things to learn about, since you can make curved text along a path to fit the line of your mountains, or following a stream, or a road.

Like this (a small section of a GIMP map I drew)

Name:	curvy text.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	96480

There is also a handy trick you can use to create a subtle background halo around each letter (as with the word 'Gurgle' above) to lift the labels out of the line work and separate one from the other, but if you stay keen by the time you get to that point I'll describe it when you're ready

EDIT: if you find GIMP too much bother to begin with, you could try Inkscape instead. Again - free software, but totally different to GIMP. A lot of people say the text in Inkscape is easier, but I suppose that's just down to personal preference and what kind of software you've been using in the past.
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-12-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldrin View Post
    @ DanielHasenbos : Thank you dude! I use MSP at work almost every day so I start to know how to use it the better way... but it's still not the right way to do it anyway ^^
    Who's to say what the right way is? I've heard that Mark Knopfler's technique is terrible, yet his music is amazing. I've seen people play guitar with their feet and they played better than most of the guitarists I know. Just that your way is unconventional doesn't mean is isn't right. Don't think that your art is less than that of someone who uses conventional methods. (;

Exactly - I was only making a suggestion

Sorry if it didn't come across the right way!
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-12-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, I really love the labelled one! Makes me think of many a fond hour looking at the maps in DAW fantasy novels of the 70s and 80s - it has exactly the same vibe.

Ok my bad - sorry Veldrin

(When you've been around the Guild for a while you get to know I that goof quite a lot, but most people just ignore me when I do )

If Diamond says there's nothing wrong with the labels, then there's nothing wrong with them at all. He's got about the best sense of taste there is where maps are concerned

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ah, but see, my taste is not your taste, necessarily. Everybody's got stuff they love, and stuff they hate - this look just happens to appeal to me, but I guarantee you there are dozens more who won't be moved by it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast