Thread: [WIP] Creating my Paper RPG : The map of Kholtae.

Map [WIP] Creating my Paper RPG : The map of Kholtae.

Hello guys !

I had the project of creating a map for a Paper RPG with friends of mine and spent quite an amount of hour into it last summer but they left me on the side because we couldn't gather as often as we would to play together ... But I recently found what I began to create and decided that it would be cool to finish it as I also am writing a Light Novel based on the universe we created for the Paper RPG (I'll maybe post it in here when I finished the tenth chapter ...)

But the point is that I only have the general shape of the map, plus the mountains and a rough idea of what I'd like to have here and there, but I have no way to draw them on my computer because I don't own any tablet. That's where I'm asking you guys for help. One of the friends of mine with whom I created the RPG owns a tablet and his interested in helping me, so I kind of drew what I was willing to see on my map ehre and there, but I'd love to have your critics beforehand.

Here is the map, not much of a great quality, there might be lots of errors and things to change so feel free to criticize it !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Kolthae preview.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	8.69 MB 
ID:	115497

PS : I just realized the legend isn't as clear as I thought it was : the green areas stand for the forests and the yellowish ones stand for the cereal fields. The brown areas are the Mongolian-like plains and I think you guessed what the blue lines roughly correspond to. The thin black lines are what will be representing the frontiers afterwards.
    The brushes I used for the mountains came from here : https://www.deviantart.com/starraven...shes-198264358

I just joined the Guild today so I might have missed some things, sorry about that.

Best regards,
    Okimouye.
    Last edited by Okimouye; 05-19-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Hello everybody !

As I couldn't find a good way to draw the forests the way I waned, I printed the map as it was and I tried to draw some myself. Here's the result, not quite satisfied with the way it looks but I like the overall feeling it has :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Kolthae.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	9.00 MB 
ID:	115556

What are your thoughts on it ? (I added some blank banners so as to sort of planing things out, I really like the way they look so far !)

Best regards,
    Okimouye

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hello there.

The I am looking at this, it would look better if the mountains and trees share somewhat of the same kind of lineart. SO... if you have already printed this to draw your trees, why not take a pen and do basic outlines for on top your mountains, then the pen from your lineart would blend the mountains in better with the overall map.

I am one to have MANY a time hand drawn with Ink or Pencil a certain asset to add to my Digital map projects. But, I always try to blend them, so that whatever I add looks in line with the map as a whole. Otherwise it can easily look like two completely different styles without it blending too well with each other. Hope that helps.

(And I feel you, trees are hard to get right. )

Good luck with the next phase! And remember never give up. Every thing you do helps make the next one even better.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19