Thread: How to get your rivers in the right place

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I wonder if it will have any serious affect on Niagara Falls?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Actually, Niagra Falls was mentioned...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I wonder if it will have any serious affect on Niagara Falls?
    Actually, Niagra Falls was mentioned in that same show.

Apparently Lake Huron and Lake Erie didn't use to be connected. But with the rising of the Lakes caused the water to be forced over the land between the two lakes, which formed the rivers that joined the lakes. The connection between the two occurred 1800 years ago.

Water from the upper lakes flowing into Lake Erie then Lake Ontario caused the water to flow which eventually formed Niagra Falls. So apparently Niagra Falls is relatively "recent" (in geologic time). The show suggested that eventually the water volume flowing over Niagra Falls will increase, though it may be several thousand years before there's any real kind of disasterous change, due to that.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Actually, Niagra Falls was mentioned in that same show.

Apparently Lake Huron and Lake Erie didn't use to be connected. But with the rising of the Lakes caused the water to be forced over the land between the two lakes, which formed the rivers that joined the lakes. The connection between the two occurred 1800 years ago.

Water from the upper lakes flowing into Lake Erie then Lake Ontario caused the water to flow which eventually formed Niagra Falls. So apparently Niagra Falls is relatively "recent" (in geologic time). The show suggested that eventually the water volume flowing over Niagra Falls will increase, though it may be several thousand years before there's any real kind of disasterous change, due to that.

GP
    Although not posted to for awhile, I thought I'd add this little tidbit about Niagara Falls.

I also watched a History Channel's show about the Niagara Falls. One thing mentioned in that show is the fact that the four upper lakes water level will drop by up to the height of the falls 52 meters (167 feet). Of course, this won't happen for about another 12,000 years, and the water won't empty all at once but occur over several years to a couple of decades. That increase of water flow will do a heck of a gouging job.

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Finally found this on an old DVD, here is a paper I wrote to a friend about drainage patterns. Maybe this can help some also?

FluvialProcesses.doc

Although a copyright exists within the document, I am releasing it under Creative Commons No Commercial, Share Alike license.

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."