Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Map A - Northern Maze [Jo land]

Superb map! There's a fabulous amount of detail in there. Those mountains must have taken ages to draw.
    Solid contribution to the Guild World!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hey Jo - this is excellent. It feels like a real country - a sense that is lacking from even some of the best drawn maps at the Guild. I think it helps a lot that you have positioned the settlements in places that make perfect sense according to the topography and rivers of the land, and that you have marked them with simple coloured spots, in much the same way that they might be marked in an atlas on a map of this scale.

congratulations on a job well done

If I had even just the tiniest nitpick...

It would be the thick black line part of the border. Its slightly fuzzy, as if its out of focus compared to the rest of the 'print', and doesn't allow any of the underlying texture to show through at all, which makes it seem not quite like its part of the map. Other black lines on the map seem to show as if they are printed on the paper, but this one does not.

But that really is an extremely tiny thing!
    You're right Mouse ! I'll correct that... I wanted the frame to blend more with the paper, but to smooth the border of the border is not the right solution... I'll probably work on the opacity of the black lines.
    And thanks for your kind words !

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Wonderful piece, Jo
    Thanks a lot ! I hope to finish it this weekend !

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Super update Jo. Some of the labels are not easy to read, but i understand its hard to place thme there between those mountains.
    I see you took inspiration from the same viking compass as me for our guild map
    You are right for those labels : I'll try to reinforce the glow around some of them to ease the reading. The point was to avoid placing those labels on the see : if this map joins the guildworld one day, everything that's on the sea will be cut off.
    And yes, I googled "viking compass"... and found that you had done the same... But I thought that after all, it makes sense that two similar countries use the same compass... I'll try to add rhumblines this weekend, but I'm not sure the result will be good... I'll see that

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Superb map! There's a fabulous amount of detail in there. Those mountains must have taken ages to draw.
    Solid contribution to the Guild World!
    Thanks a lot ! I sure took my time for those mountains, but it's a style I wanted to try for a long time... Diamond used carterpillar too in one of his latest map, and I think it gives a style, or an "age" to the map which is really interesting because once you use this kind of relief, it gives you some directions for the rest of the map (forest, rivers, labels... even border). It's a constraint and it might be challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    And yes, I googled "viking compass"... and found that you had done the same... But I thought that after all, it makes sense that two similar countries use the same compass... I'll try to add rhumblines this weekend, but I'm not sure the result will be good... I'll see that
    It's OK. Mine is actually different. I took the viking compass as a refference and made my own, though simillar at first look.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Wow, I missed like 2-3 pages of development here. It's gorgeous work, Jo !

Hello !

Some corrections fellowing your comments, some changes for the labels (less colors) and a story for the place... Here's the last WIP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northern Maze 08.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	6.83 MB 
ID:	98055

Hello !

Again a few corrections and additions: snow at the top of mountains, rhumblines, some labels ...

Unless you find any corrections to make or you have ideas for improvements, I think this map is finished?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northern Maze 09.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	6.90 MB 
ID:	98077

(All my apologizes to Kelleri and other Finnish people for the misuse of your beautiful language)

Thank you for your critics and comments!

Perfect

Are you going to put it in finished maps?

(if you have already, I apologise for missing it)

Nice atlas style !

Congratz on finishing it JO. Map looks great. Thank you for including my continent name on your map too. Very nice of you. Though if i am correct and Lahti means Bay, i don't think our continents are so close to each other to may it bay.

I like the concistency of the map and good choice of the colours.
    Labels are much easier to read.
    Hope you are going to place it in Finished map section. Totally worth a rep.

Now we need to wait for Kacey to finish her map. Redrobes told me that he need to prepare new mask for our continents for the sea interactive map, be he will wait untill all 3 of them (A B C) are done :/. But it seems like Kacey won't be touching her land for some time...
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

This is really beautiful and well done, love the mountains and depth that you've made with the rising planes/plateaus, great job!!! My only comment would be the text is a little tightly kerned (letter spacing) Menetetty gets really blocking looking. I'd love to see more in this style from you. Really love "Maa" rising mountain, looks volcanic to a degree.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast