Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Resurgence Maps

Thanks Mouse !

I've forgotten to change some data, though... Corrections done and the picture is updated.

Here's Hades. Cold, desertic, with a microbiotic form of life which is responsible for a breathable atmosphere, but also for its contaminaiton (with deadly spores). The hadesian microbes are also responsible for the red color tones of the planet, forming sort of a "dirt" or "moss" covering the lands.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hades Planetary View.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	672.9 KB 
ID:	97971

And here's Thartar... An even worse place than Hades, with more exotic danger (less Nyctis, but Stygian Larvae).

Name:	Thartar Planetary View.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	636.8 KB 
ID:	97985

Very dark and red-tinted moody

I almost fear to ask, but what do nyctis and stygian larvae do - since you have them down as biohazards?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I almost fear to ask, but what do nyctis and stygian larvae do - since you have them down as biohazards?
    You fool! YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh dear

*sigh*

I guess one or the other of them just happens to be the thing hanging on to the tip of my left little toe with a pair of very sharp pincers, and which only popped into existence when I asked the question :/

I absolutely refuse to ask what happens next!!!

Thanks for the laugh, guys !

By Mouse
    I absolutely refuse to ask what happens next!!!
    *with a grim and deep, whistling voice* You asked, and then, shall be answered... there is no coming back !

The Nyctis are partly plants (using light, warmth and soil nutriments, producing oxygen) when adults, even if they can move with the winds and (with less efficiency) on the ground, to find a better place to grow (more like animals, a bit like an airy plankton). Their spores are the danger. It's very small and enter the body by any possible natural entrance, hence the necessary protection of the head and the checking of possible injuries. Once in the body, it first works as a virus : penetrating the cells, the spores are replicating themselves. This "disease" is called "Endymiosis".
    At some point, the victim is partly hallucinating, with possible visual or sound that tends to lead him outside of the cities, looking for cold. It's called "Call or song of Persephone". If not stopped, the weakened victim often dies outside and form the "rich soil" where the stock of spores is growing, becoming new Nyctis, quickly forming a moss wherein the remnants of the body is less and less recognizable.
    It's a true terror in the cities, where environment is controlled... and where a contaminated subject could spread spores easily by cough...

About Stygian Larvae : those larvae are seeking the body warmth and generally ends in the digestive system. They are nesting there, attached to the intestine wall and interacting with some parts of the body. The poor victim is first acting like a rabid victim... then goes to weakness. Some toxins produced by the larvae when they've grown, are affecting the body, causing cell death and putrefaction, starting with skin and going inward.
    Considering the symptoms, they are often seen like zombies. Useless to say that someone with a foul stench or a strange skin is generally not welcome... Adult, it looks like a big centipede and eat trange acari and mites.

Euw! LOL!

And I didn't even ask! :O

At least there are no face-huggers, but it does sound like the whole planet could do with a de-lousing!

I'm testing the global Neosol Map (Neosol being the Barycenter of the star systems, in Surya - but not in the center of it due to the close Nayir).

Well, I don't really know where this is going. I've done a lot of tests and ended with a darkening blue of the background I intended at first...
    I've about all the "navigation data" on this.
    Oh, and especially for Thomas, I've made the stars more different (or so I hope) !

Name:	Neosol Systems.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	98032

There seem to be a few typos in the tables of information about the stars:

The stars' spectral type designations on the map are incomplete. Numeric values of 0-9 usually are associated with the letters (e.g. A0 - A9, F0 - F9, etc.) providing a temperature scale, with larger numeric values indicating a lower temperature. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_classification.

Class O stars are extremely bright, so the absolute magnitude of Nayir should be a negative value. I'm guessing the minus sign was accidentally lost: an absolute magnitude of -4.2 corresponds to a star of class O4. A positive value of 4.2 is much dimmer and corresponds to the brightness of an F class star. See http://www.isthe.com/chongo/tech/ast...ble-bymag.html for a table associating stellar classes with absolute magnitudes (and other values).

When used as part of a number, "billion" is normally used in the singular, without the "s" plural suffix.

Question:
    I assume the background picture shows part of a real nebula. Which one is it?
    Selden

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast