Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Resurgence Maps

Farther from Sòla, the half-frozen corporate world of Svartan. The face toward the sun is in the middle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Svartan Planetary View.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	471.7 KB 
ID:	126016
    Sòlaria is the name of the state, but it's the corporation is Sòlar.

Name:	Solar.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	126017

I need to think about space ships for my Resurgence setting (and the next Sòla map). Here are some sketches. Not finished, but I'd be curious to read your thoughts.
    The interstellar ship is supposed to carry 5-6 interplanetary ships. Both can't land on a planet.

Name:	Rcosmonef.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	443.9 KB 
ID:	126089

Name:	Rcosmonef2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	126090

They look interesting. When designing lovely graceful ships like this for space, I would try to remember that in space, ships can have really exaggerated proportions, you could really exaggerate their gracefulness and it still be believable. For instance the case of the Canadarm used on the space shuttle, it works perfectly well in space, but is completely not functional on planet. So if a ship were using solar sails you could have sails that absolutely dwarfs the actual habitable structure, or you could have an absolutely giant enclosed hanger if it were mostly empty space. The physical forces needed to be considered in space are the structural integrity as it relates to acceleration, deceleration and rotation.

Falconius is on point- one of the main things to worry about is whether you've got so much weight sticking out at the end of boom that a force differential would cause the tube to snap, or when it comes to vibrations. Sails are light though, so not much of an issue.

For your craft, that shouldn't be an issue. Though I would like to know; when your sails are folded, there's two triangular areas between the arms and the main chassis. Is that supposed to be empty space? And where do the wings store, inside the main body? Or do they curl up within the wing arms?

By Falconius
    They look interesting. When designing lovely graceful ships like this for space, I would try to remember that in space, ships can have really exaggerated proportions, you could really exaggerate their gracefulness and it still be believable. For instance the case of the Canadarm used on the space shuttle, it works perfectly well in space, but is completely not functional on planet. So if a ship were using solar sails you could have sails that absolutely dwarfs the actual habitable structure, or you could have an absolutely giant enclosed hanger if it were mostly empty space. The physical forces needed to be considered in space are the structural integrity as it relates to acceleration, deceleration and rotation.
    I had the same course of thoughts, more or less. The Interstellar ships are indeed huge (consider the interplanetary ship or orbiter, being about 500 meters long) and the most of it is empty, with the purpose of carrying the orbiters inside.
    Those interstellar ships are travel a bit like old sailing : it requires to "raise the anchor", "unfold the wings" and launch a probe for direction (after navigation course is computed), passing by some sort of intertwined dimension, affected by waves and solar winds. So, they are not actually moving much in "our" space.

By Coggleton
    Falconius is on point- one of the main things to worry about is whether you've got so much weight sticking out at the end of boom that a force differential would cause the tube to snap, or when it comes to vibrations. Sails are light though, so not much of an issue.

For your craft, that shouldn't be an issue. Though I would like to know; when your sails are folded, there's two triangular areas between the arms and the main chassis. Is that supposed to be empty space? And where do the wings store, inside the main body? Or do they curl up within the wing arms?
    It's a view from atop. The sails are folding under the arms. I know I have to do some other sketches or a side view to show how things work properly...

And after the work of the day... I guess it will be sufficient to illustrate the Aegir Planetary Map.

Name:	Rcosmonef.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	570.3 KB 
ID:	126139

Eh, that looks like a ship to me. Glad to see you back on this project, some really stellar (pun intended) work on these.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 11-11-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Thanks GW! The whole system is now done. I still have to do the same thing for the Surya/Nayir system.

I started it, so... I finished it. The first of the Surya/Nayir system for my Resurgence setting. The rest will be done later (I've other things to work on, right now).

Name:	Simha Planetary View.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	602.4 KB 
ID:	126352

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112