Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Site loading problems

My ISP is BT and I'm using their DNS. I don't believe I am running a local cache, although Chromium is. I might try disabling caching just in case something is going awry there.

It's weird though as it seems to be behaving itself at the moment.

It seems my ad blocking extension (uBlock) was 'managing' the preloading service in Chromium and had disabled it. I've disabled that option and I'll see how things go from here on.

I'm using another device and it's connecting beautifully. So it's looks like something to do with my desktop PC. It could be the WiFi dongle. I'm going to see if I can find a long enough ethernet cable in my various bags of spaghetti to try a wired connection.

Hope you manage to sort this out, Straf.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Me too ChickPea because I get frustrated and give up going through the Finished Maps. I haven't even stepped into any WIP threads for ages, other than the challenges. I'm missing out. I didn't have a long enough ethernet cable despite pulling the garage apart. I seem to have an infinite number of IDE ribbon cables though. And a few floppy cables - remember those, with the little twisted bit? Oh and a parallel cable with the centronics plug on one end Just in case I need to connect a dot matrix up to something.

Oh well, it's Friday night so I'll sip a few cocktails. Buckfast is a cocktail, right?

Blog Entries

I still have one device running that I need a centronics connector for ! I had forgot about that little twisty bit in the middle of the ribbon cable tho. I tend to use LAN cables tho for any desktop machine. If your using wifi you may be close to someone else who is using another router running on the same channel. Its a good idea to check the speeds of a number of big DNS providers and pick a good one. OpenDNS is pretty fast. Also, leaving caching on is probably not going to slow you down and if you need the same resource twice then it will get it locally. If its just this site that is slow then I would suggest changing DNS provider. If all sites are slow then its more likely to be either the connection from PC to router or to be honest it could be anywhere in the chain and needs more testing.

Could open a DOS box and type:

ping cartographersguild.com

and a number of other sites and see if the time is different or you get packet losses.

No DOS on this *nix box Ping isn't dropping packets but the response time seems to vary between 64ms and almost 800 ms. I have seen this happening with congestion before.

There is a lot of WiFi congestion around here. I have tried on both 2 and 5 GHz. The PC is about 6 ft away from the router but there is the side of a desk, a sideboard and a wall in the way. I'm going to go wired though - I just set this up temporary until I sorted a cable but then I just didn't bother. It's not just this site, there are a few other sites that seem to be difficult. I have tried changing the MTU to no avail.

The other thing I haven't got round to is replacing the BT HomeHub with another router. But I might replace BT with another ISP. You cannot change the DNS addresses on the HomeHub ASFAIK.

If you raise the matter with the network provider they may decide to upgrade the transmitter. Apparently some of the problem I was having just after yours started was being caused by overload/congestion (which is common around here because I live in a holiday resort). The network say they are going to upgrade the transmitter in the next 5-8 days. I'll let you know if it has any marked effect on the service

Mine comes down my telephone line though

Blog Entries

if your running a nix box then put your own DNS entries in. Not sure what type but probably in the /etc/resolv.conf file. I used to use BT and switched to sky fibre and its cheaper and about 40-60x speed up in the upload dir. When an upload took two mins its now two secs. Download is prob only 5x faster tho.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast