Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Site loading problems

Question Site loading problems

Quite a lot of the time I am having some severe problems using this site. It sometimes takes a minute or so for pages to load and when I want to look at the maps, I click on a thumbnail then only a small part of it downloads. In some cases I have to try several times. I've tried switching all of my browser plugins and extensions off, but it doesn't seem to work. I have this site set as an exception for the ad blocker [it really is just discrete ads in two places, so anyone running a blocker do consider switching it off for the sake of the site!], but I have completely disabled it. It seems to work for a while but then it slows down again. I have tried another browser and it does the same. My Internet connection is pretty reasonable, giving me around 30 MBPS most of the time.

Does anyone else have issues or is it just me and should I start trying to find what's wrong? I do use other secure sites and they seem fine most of the time. My PC, monitor and keyboard are all black if that helps. My mouse too but it has a copper bit on it and it has a purple flashy light. My router is also black but my modem is white I don't have a dog or a cat.

Are you wearing your tin foil hat to cut out the existential interference patterns from the planet Og?

Hmmm... I guess you must be, since you're a sensible fellow.

I don't have any of these problems, and aside from wearing the necessary cap of foil I have a very standard laptop, mobile broadband at 72 MBPS, Win 10, no adblocker, and I usually use Edge, or Firefox when I can't see certain animated pngs.

Maybe its the broadband speed? That seems awfully slow compared to mine, though its not as slow as I know some users have to put up with.

EDIT: and my mouse is a 10 year old Microsoft mouse, complete with cable - and yes it does have a rather fetching red light on one end.
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-19-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Hm, that's strange. The site runs mostly fine on our 1.5 Mbps download speed, so it can't be that.

Could it be down to your antivirus being a bit too... 'stentorian librarian' Straf?

I rely on the built in AV etc that comes with Win 10.

Haven't noticed any issues, though I've got a decent internet connection (70ish mb). Even at work, where it's a bit slower, I haven't noticed any slow down.

What browser do you use, and do you keep a gazillion tabs open? I'm wondering if it's a RAM/cache issue, rather than a download speed problem (especially given Matthew's comment above!) Can you visit other image-heavy sites without any problems/slow downs? Also, if you use Firefox, you can create a new user profile (though I'd have to search on how to do it, as I can't remember off the top of my head). I presume Chrome has something similar. No idea about MS browsers. Can you try a new profile, if possible, and see if that makes any difference? It would perhaps rule out any browser issues.

My mouse & keyboard are also black, and my monitor has an orange light. Behind the monitor is a nice thick layer of dust. I like to think that's what keeps the hobgoblins out, but YMMV...
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

My browser is Chromium and I am running Ubuntu. Firefox does the same though. My mobile is fine, I'm going to try with other devices around the house.

Well, if its any comfort I am currently being punished for my earlier flippancy

Reception is bad when there's too much water in the atmosphere between my mobile device and the mast, so I'm blinking on and off broadband wise this morning, thanks to the heat haze (which is always full of water near the sea)

I get this with fog and thunderstorms as well.

If you have a mobile (airwave transmitted) Internet connection rather than a hard cable (telephone line, cable TV) connection, atmospherics and the loads upon your relay station can have substantial speed effects, which has nothing to do with this site.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

I wasn't saying it was the site - just letting poor Straf know that I had received my come-uppance for being so flippant about his problem yesterday

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just out of curiosity, who is your isp and are you using googles dns or open dns in your router? I'm using spectrum, formerly time Warner, and I use the Google dns and while my speeds are fine, dns lookups sometimes take a while. Probably going to switch back to my ISPs dns because it's getting annoying on all counts.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast