Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: June / July '17 Lite Challenge: Inspired by Malacandra

That sounds like a fun challenge. Will be fun to see where you go with it, too.

Ninja'd!

That looks lovely, Mouse
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Thanks Chashio

Its a bit too candy-sweet for me, but I'll see how it changes as I carry on.

Next job - to read/listen to the book again and see if I can't work out the geographical arrangement properly.

I have a feeling that the reason no one seems to have attempted to do a map for this book before now is because the description is actually quite vague! Maybe that was why Tolkien (another Inkling) started with a map! LOL!

I'm thinking that perhaps Mr Lewis overdid it on the tequila sunrises and red cabbage then took his inspiration from what resulted. A technicolor yawn indeed

I'm sure you're going to nail this one though Mouse

The shape of this map is really trippy!

I've just spent ages and ages trying to draw....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Malacandra 04.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	5.53 MB 
ID:	97202

a human leg!

As you can see, the directions are so vague that at one point half way through the story, when the sun was said to be declining on the left (that would be west) I had to turn the entire map upside down. Then I had to change the orientation of the map to allow space for the length of the different parts of the journey. Only just caught the fact that the lengthening shadows were growing towards Ransom (the main character) on his way across the upland desert - indicating that he was crossing it in a westerly direction.

Actually - I've confused myself. That's wrong as well! He's heading down the page from the top so his left in that narrow part of the canal will actually be on the other side.

I need to turn this map the other way up again - the way up it was in the first place.

Maybe I should do this on several bits of paper and stick them all together with 'sticky backed tape' (as the good old Beeb used to call it to avoid advertising any one of the companies that sell it) to suddenly and conveniently produce one that 'I made earlier'... in a little bit

Is this a mapping challenge or a knobbly knees contest?

You know I said that colour scheme was a bit sickly sweet for me?

Well here's a screen shot of version 2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Malacandra 07.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	97262

MADLY pink, but it was that or washed-out orange/yellow

I think I may need to tone down the water just a bit, like I have done already with the cliffs. I only have it that blue right now because its said to be bluer than normal water. The insane texture (if you can see it at this scale) is an attempt of mine to describe the low gravity waves on that water, which are narrower, steeper and generally behave almost like they are alive.
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-09-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

This is really coming together quite nicely. You're a texture wizard, Sue.

Thanks Wired

Its a bit pink, though. I think my next map will be all soothing blues and greens and greys, and browns... sigh! LOL!

And the next one after that, I might actually draw a few lines

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast