Thread: June / July '17 Lite Challenge: Inspired by Malacandra

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default June / July '17 Lite Challenge: Inspired by Malacandra

Clive Staples Lewis (C S Lewis) was a member of the Inklings - a group of writers that included Tolkien.

While Lewis is far more famous for his Chronicles of Narnia, he also wrote a science fiction trilogy most usually known as the Cosmic Trilogy. The trilogy never seemed to do very well (and it does get progressively more strange as you read), but I've read all of them, and the landscape of Malacandra as it was described in 'Out of the Silent Planet', the first in the trilogy, has made an indelible impression in my memory.

Unfortunately when I checked my library I discovered they had cleared out a lot of the older titles to make way for new ones, so I can't refer directly to the text any more for useful instructions. That is why this map is going to be merely inspired by Malacandra, rather than an accurate representation.

The basic form of Malacandra is similar to Mars, except that it is Mars as it was imaged back in the late 1930s by C S Lewis - a planet that was once as green and beautiful as Earth, but which has suffered the loss of half its atmosphere as a result of an interplanetary war between the respective God-like rulers of both these worlds.

As a result of this loss, Malacandra's life has retreated to the very bottom of the deepest ravines, while the surface is as cold, airless and dead as we know the real Mars to be.

No picture yet, but I decided not to bore you with a blank bit of paper while I try to work out how I'm going to draw it

EDIT: ok I lied about the picture - here is a piece of paper I made for the map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oasis 01.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.35 MB 
ID:	96762
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-09-2017 at 10:02 PM.