Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flagstones - What do you think?

Ok then. I was looking for a bit of light therapy, so I'll make a few more...

I'm an insomniac, but with a bit of luck this tile exercise will give my brain a work out, and I'll be able to sleep then
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-22-2017 at 07:57 PM.

These may not be completely satisfactory, but I can alter them if you like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battle tiles 02 grey.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	96823

Name:	Battle tiles 03 grey.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	96824

Name:	Battle tiles 04 grey.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	96825

Things that can be changed very easily:

• Tone and contrast of the stone
    • Shade of the mortar/contrast of the mortar with the stone
    • Sharpness of the stone (blur is dead easy without blurring the mortar)
    • Edge of block sharpness (degree of bevel and smoothness etc)

Have a play and see what you like.

I am actually going to try and go to bed now, so I might not be around to alter them tonight, but I can do them tomorrow if necessary

Thanks heaps Sue. You're a legend!
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Thank you

I'm 'working blind' here because I'm not really a battle mapper, and I've certainly never done this sort of thing before, so I am expecting a few adjustments when you've had time to have a play with them a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thank you

I'm 'working blind' here because I'm not really a battle mapper, and I've certainly never done this sort of thing before, so I am expecting a few adjustments when you've had time to have a play with them a bit
    Hi Mouse,

Here's a quick sample, with & without grid. I had to scale your texture down to 4" square @ 100PPI.

Looks pretty good, the sample was made on a parchment background.

Name:	Mouse Tile.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	358.9 KB 
ID:	96826

Finished Maps

Here's another one with the grid. I like the walls better on this one more than the ones above...I think we have a winner!

Name:	Mouse Tile 2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	96827

Finished Maps

I'm... still around

Oops! Looks like you could do with one that isn't distorted, so you don't have to use a grid?

I don't know anything about Dundjinni at all. Are there layers? Can you use blend modes? Just asking, because it would make sense to use a darker texture in overlay mode if you want to blend it with the parchment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm... still around

Oops! Looks like you could do with one that isn't distorted, so you don't have to use a grid?
    Not at all Sue, when I produce the tiles I'll do so without the grids and just make it obvious there are 4 tiles to a 5ft square, like I did with my example. The grid on this is just me playing around and what it would look like in VTT world with grids switched on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    I don't know anything about Dundjinni at all. Are there layers? Can you use blend modes? Just asking, because it would make sense to use a darker texture in overlay mode if you want to blend it with the parchment.
    Just as well, I'm not using Dundjinni, just good ol' PS CS4

Finished Maps

Do you think it would look even better with straight mortar lines, like this one?

Name:	Battle tiles 01 grey st.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	96830

(sorry - same size - conversions leave me dumbfounded at this time in the early morning)

EDIT: believe it or not the texture is the same. Taking the distort off the tiles also altered the texture. I've learned something new about my software tonight! LOL!
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-22-2017 at 11:30 PM.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

Mouse,

Your work is as beautiful as it is expedient! I look forward to seeing more of your work when time allows.

Damonjynx,

Per your request I have reviewed your work on the flagstone pattern. The idea of creating a more realistic look for the floor is quite appealing, however I find it quite hard to read where one square ends and another begins. When I am sitting behind a screen, I ensure ALL my maps (excluding regional overworld maps which are done in hex) with 5' squares. When I encounter a map with 10' scale and I want to incorporate into a game I often times have a bit of trouble converting it EVEN though I am well aware it is in a different scale. My mind says "one square=5'x5'", and I can see myself doing the same with your overlay. This may quite possibly be a view unique to me, and I understand other art styles. Even with Mouse's lighter mortar I find my eyes reverting back to that way of thinking. If I may offer an alternative approach, You could look at skewing the pattern 45deg. so the pattern doesn't line up with the battle grid. This may not be as beautiful or realistic, but it would offer a bit more legibility.

With regards to the discussion on location names: I simply love irregular, whimsical, or otherwise pun-ny names. I might just need to create a Halfling run tavern with the same name in my world! When I started creating my kingdom of mankind (to be one of my first maps to share on here when I have the time) I had trouble coming up with names... unlike my wife who created the farm"Neutdroogs" on one of her sim-like games which only crop was poppy flowers. So, as an avid Pink Floyd fan, I named my king Pink of the house of Floyd, the capital is known as "WhiteWall", and the major outlying cities are: Div'Ell (Division Bell), Darsidomon(Dark Side of the Moon), and M'Lor(A Momentary Laps of Reason). Each city has a secret based off the albums, and the small farming communities around each major town are named similarly after songs within the album. Within the same campaign, my group (knowing I am a big fan of Vecna) was on the lookout for Vecna's avatar, and so I made the local baron have the same mannerisms of the God of Secrets (even an eye patch and hook). His name was/is Iamn Ancevto(I am not Vecna). Thought I would share, even though my contribution is lacking in comedic value. I'll need to consult with you on names next time I am building!
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast