Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Travar (3-pt-perspective metropolis)

Wow, Steffen - this is my new favorite city
    You did an excellent job on this one. I love it.
    This should be a cartographers choice map.
    This thing has so much good stuff in it - I just can't even begin to say.

How long did this take? Are there flying ships over in the top left corner?
    This thing is just gorgeous.

WOW! This is so incredible. The skill and time that went into this must be astronomical. I'm in love with the design and layout, which is awesome and very believable. The perspective is marvelous.
    I think I have a new favorite city map, although I think in colour it would be even better.
    Everything about this is flawless and professional. It's a breathtaking map.

Someone this man a cartographer's choice award!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Follow up question, did you draw the compass in the perspective or forced the perspective on a normal compass through distortion?
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

@J.Edward: Thank you so much, J.! To answer your question: It took a long time, there really were only a few shortcuts I could use. You chouldn't really copy more than a few houses since the 3-pt-perspective usually won't allow it withou it being forced so there really wasn't a workaround. I thought about making this up in 3D, but the time it would have taken me would even be higher then. And I'm quite good with perspective, so I made this all by hand. Someone asked me before how long it took, and all I can say is I'm not sure - but there were two 80h/weeks involved the time I made this, in which this took a greater part.

@Josiah VE: You and J.Edward are to kind to suggest a CC-Award :) Thank you so much for your kind words, Josiah! I hope it works as well in the book, it should be the complete endpaper there.

@AdventureDepot: I drew it normally and forced it into perspective. I was aware that forcing something into perspective this way can hold a few problems, therefore I couldn't get around to adjust some things by hand afterwards. But this was way better than making this squiggly just to not use a tiny amount of distortion. I included a WIP below, there you can see part of the grid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bild-2(1).jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	96834

Best wishes, Steffen
    Visit me on ArtStation.

WoW, absolutely stunning city map. I love everything about, and I have to admit I am jealous

Guild Apprentice

I knew I recognized your handiwork from that! It's a beautiful map. Great work and if you're hinting at doing more stuff for Earthdawn, I'm excited to see what follows!

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

@Tilby: Haha, thank you!

@jizerai: You did? Awesome, thanks! And I'm not just hinting, I'm quite sure about that...
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Wow, this is amazing, Steffen! As other said before, the 3 point perspective is insane, but works wonderfully! The city's surroundings are great too and I love how you 'filled' the ocean. Really great work, I'd say Cartographer's Choice Award worthy (:

Outstanding city, toy said you are very proud and you should be. People already said enough i can't think of anything else to say.
    Would be grat to hear more about how you make a 3-point-perspective. I have no clue how that works.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I can just agree with everyone else!
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast