Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	96977
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like a good start.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Works as it is now

Not really meant to be zoomed in on, good for a standard paper size print

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dwarven district.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	9.53 MB 
ID:	97082
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

love the lights.. I think I'd make the floors more even in color - that will make them stand out more from the "filler" and thus easier to see
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thank you, will look at it

grammer and font update

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dwarven district.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	9.45 MB 
ID:	97083
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

AdventureDepot,

Hello and good afternoon. Dwarven establishments are some of my favorite to build, explore, and study. Thank you for sharing your work with us! Dwarven settlements call out to me because (in my world) their craftsmanship is heavily influenced by tradition, grandeur, and functionality. In your setting, what cultural factors drive the development of infrastructure? What are the limitations of technology? Do they use magic, or are they more traditional?

Looking at your map gives me the feeling of a dwarven district. It is grand in size, reciprocal without being redundant, and feels like part of a much bigger structure. Have you considered what parts of the district (if any) are carved from a preexisting natural cave system, and which areas were mined out for ore and building materials? How about ventilation (I can recommend some basic reading on the subject if you are interested)?

I enjoy the colors you have in your map, and the texture of the background is quite nice. I am having a bit of difficulty comprehending some of the walls in the darker areas (like 7, and the hall to 8 ). Perhaps you could use a shade with better contrast to make it pop from the background? I enjoy the golden color of the markers on the revised version much more than the teal; however I feel given the in-depth and immersive addition of accurate light sources (my favorite part), the text takes a bit of that away by being so similar in color. In continuing to agree with Tilt’s review, I feel a more uniform color would greatly enhance both your work on lighting and legibility. My eyes are not the best, having spent many many long nights poring over books without a proper light; so I find the text you used in the previous version to be much more readable. I see such potential in your map, and can hardly stop myself from prattling on and on with ideas that may not fit your desired style; so I shall conclude my rant by asking if you had considered a harsher border? Something that gives it a “dwarven frame” feel?

In closing, I am truly thrilled by your work, and am inspired to invest more time into the dwarves of my world! I hope my input was constructive, helpful, or at least a bit entertaining. I look forward to following this project, and the ones that follow!
    ~Syd
    Last edited by flyenemu; 06-29-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Format
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*

Quote Originally Posted by flyenemu View Post
    ~Syd
    I voice acted your entire answer for myself, very entertaining indeed : D

Everything one can wish for as feedback online, I am unable to rep you apparently since I already done so recently.

I put some thought but not much into the maps, there is no lore or setting here, just make up on the way whilst I draw and pump out random maps. Several a week for some weeks now since I am new to this hobby.
    I will tweak the map and return, maybe with detailed answers too on how the civilization look. Please do send dwarf info you had. I had many dwarf fort projects in miniatures over the years, you who like such things might like some images I have that haven't seen much light.

fort 1 http://imgur.com/a/nalt2
    fort 2 http://imgur.com/a/kqONq
    fort 3 http://imgur.com/a/2iga3

There is so much more than any picture show tho, I have hundreds of items painted and magnetized fitting for the metal floor tiles. And many animals and civilian dwarf minis. Nothing have ever been used, as is the life of the solitary crafter.
    Last edited by AdventureDepot; 06-29-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Oh my God. You even put LED's in the sconces. flyenemu is not the only one who is thrilled with your work. My heart has been warming up to dwarfs again over the years, so I find this kind of inspiring too. Your map is always what I'd like a Dwarf cave to look like.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureDepot View Post
    I voice acted your entire answer for myself, very entertaining indeed : D

Everything one can wish for as feedback online, I am unable to rep you apparently since I already done so recently.

I put some thought but not much into the maps, there is no lore or setting here, just make up on the way whilst I draw and pump out random maps. Several a week for some weeks now since I am new to this hobby.
    I will tweak the map and return, maybe with detailed answers too on how the civilization look. Please do send dwarf info you had. I had many dwarf fort projects in miniatures over the years, you who like such things might like some images I have that haven't seen much light.

fort 1 http://imgur.com/a/nalt2
    fort 2 http://imgur.com/a/kqONq
    fort 3 http://imgur.com/a/2iga3

There is so much more than any picture show tho, I have hundreds of items painted and magnetized fitting for the metal floor tiles. And many animals and civilian dwarf minis. Nothing have ever been used, as is the life of the solitary crafter.
    AdventureDepot,

If my feedback is considered both informative and entertaining, I have truly succeeded in expressing my enthusiasm. I thank you for such a kind reception to my views. When I build, I must know every detail so I can ensure the creation is self-consistent within the world; to create several maps a week with such beauty and skill is quite inspiring! Your novice claims are not supported by the work I have seen thus far, and it excites me to think of the skill you will gain as you continue to grow in this hobby. Sadly, my archives on dwarven lore and legend are quite scarce, but the document I was referring to in my previous post is one I used to help me properly map out the ventilation for a cave system that leads up to some dwarven ruins for a current campaign I am running. It is called “The Cave Airflow Bible” by Nate Newkirk & Brian Killenbeck, and is found here: http://www.purdueoutingclub.org/file...Air_Basics.pdf .

The work you have shown in your miniatures is simply stunning! I find myself going over the images green with envy for your skill, talent, and brilliance. As Falconius pointed out, those LEDs for lights is genius! Any table-top group would be spoiled to have such a display to supplement a game, let alone be permitted to play on! Perhaps in my retirement I shall attempt such a hobby. You have inspired me truly.
    I look forward to your continued work!
    ~Syd
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*

I've been using this map for inspiration for a a little bit now and I keep looking at it. I think if you had a smoother texture for the floor area, or smoothed down the one that was there it would read better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast