Thread: Fantasy City for Eventual Publication

Default Fantasy City for Eventual Publication

EDIT: I have found my cartographer! Thanks to all who contacted me. I would change the [PAID] tag if I could figure out how!

Project Scope:
    I'm in need of a map of a fantasy city that is the setting for a hybrid sourcebook/adventure path I'm producing using the Shadow of the Demon Lord RPG ruleset. About half the manuscript is completed already, including the section describing the city, so I'd like to get the map settled now to help me polish this part. To that end, I would love to work out a payment plan under which the map is initially licensed for personal use only, with an option to purchase publication rights from the cartographer at a later date. I will add that I am a terrible artist with no cartographic skills, so any rough maps I can provide would be absolutely basic. My hope is to find a cartographer who can help me design an attractive, semi-logical layout for the city based on my general design needs.

Setting:
    The city of Lorden. Commonly called "the oldest city in the world," Lorden has seen many centuries of history. Most recently, it is a city in crisis, as monstrous incursions on the southern shore have driven its citizens north across the river Gwaun to cram together in half the space. Lorden is divided into three wards: Norwood, the Isle of Lorden, and Beast's Landing. Norwood, on the north shore of the Gwaun, is home to all the decent folk of the city. Beast's Landing, on the southern shore, was once a solidly middle-class area but has been overrun by beastmen, driving its surviving denizens to Norwood. On an island in the river, connected to Norwood and Beast's Landing by a single bridge each, is the Isle of Lorden, peopled only by the adventurers and madmen willing to live in such close proximity to the chaos and violence in the south. Each ward is divided into six neighborhoods, each with its own character. Much more information about the city is available as needed.

Design Concept:
    Color overhead map showing the city in its entirety, aligned and sized to print well on a single page of a book (or single 8x11 printout). Ideally, the map would be detailed enough to show the individual streets and buildings of the city. However the most important aspect of the map is to clearly show the various wards and neighborhoods, plus important locations, as these are the divisions that are most important in gameplay. My dream map would look something like these: https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...chmentid=70183 or http://maximeplasse.deviantart.com/a...rion-417698341

Technical:
    300 dpi minimum. Jpg, tiff, or png files
    Full color

Copyright:
    Remains with cartographer, who is free to use the map in portfolio, sell prints, etc. I gain rights for personal use and eventual publication in the above-described sourcebook.

Deadline:
    My ideal deadline is July 14th, as I have a playtest that weekend and would love to have the map in hand at that time. This is of course negotiable (I want to be realistic!) and even a rough draft would be a huge help by this date.

Payment:
    Payment by PayPal or Venmo. Timing is negotiable; I imagine a payment of half upon receipt of a working draft and half upon completion. My budget is $200, but I am willing to negotiate with the right cartographer. (We could also negotiate the scope of the work or rights, for example, to do a black and white map first that could be colored later, or to only license personal use now and do a second payment for publication rights later.)

Contact
    Nat Webb
    natrwebb (at) gmail (dotcom)

Thank you so much for your consideration! Please let me know if there is any information missing, etc. as this is my first request for a commission and advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by KesselZero; 07-01-2017 at 10:40 AM.