Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Arikarr

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    Holy smokes! That coloring is looking beautific, and that's even so far! And the shadowing really adds depth to the structures. The initial line sketch actually looked a little hard to interpret, but the color and shadow sets it all apart. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the city colored, and further detailed.
    Thanks ! I was aiming for a good choice of colors, to give that special light... not sure I am spot on, but it should be OK

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    I think it is an incredible castle! You are doing what I have always wanted to do! It's magnificent!
    Thanks a lot ! I'm sure you can do that too !

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh Jo!

I am speechless!

You should have been a watercolour landscape painter. And you would have made a lot of money with a colour sense like that
    Thanks, but I'm not sure I would succeed with water color : it's really an art that takes year to master... It's easier for me with the computer : first of all, the paper does not "pump" the paint

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The "doodle" is simply amazing and the coloring no less. You're in for a marvelous piece Joel
    Thanks Thomas ! I thought a lot of you doing this, with your "contrées de l'ennui"...

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSchmidt View Post
    Nice detailed work. Super impressed.
    Thanks ! No matter how high is the definition of my drawing, I always end with a 1 pixel pencil... it must be an addiction or something...

What a stunning illustration JO, i love it. Looking forward to seeing this complete !
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

This looks amazing so far. I can't wait to see the finished map

I really like the design of the castle that defends the entrance. From a defensive point of view it is almost perfect. You have a well fortified killzone right after the first gate (with crenels on the inside!), then a huge gatehouse with machicolations right above the entrance. And the road that leads up the hill approaches the next gate from the right side, which is really smart. Since most people are right handed, the attackers would most likely carry their shield on the left side, which means their unprotected side faces the defenders walls and makes them vulnerable.
    The only thing I would criticize is the gate right above this path falls a bit off in comparison to the other defenses. It seems to be more of an archway than an actual gatehouse, because there is no room above the gate for a portcullis and there are no visible doors either. But I see that you probably don't want to make it any higher for artistic reasons and that a closed gate would block the view. But how about adding one opened wing on the left side of the gate (with the one on the right side being covered by the tower).

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Question

Truly inspiring work. Did you do your linework on a tablet? It looks great!
    And real nice work on the coloring and shading.

Which begs the question, how do you approach your shading to make it look so natural?

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by HadrianVI View Post
    This looks amazing so far. I can't wait to see the finished map

I really like the design of the castle that defends the entrance. From a defensive point of view it is almost perfect. You have a well fortified killzone right after the first gate (with crenels on the inside!), then a huge gatehouse with machicolations right above the entrance. And the road that leads up the hill approaches the next gate from the right side, which is really smart. Since most people are right handed, the attackers would most likely carry their shield on the left side, which means their unprotected side faces the defenders walls and makes them vulnerable.
    The only thing I would criticize is the gate right above this path falls a bit off in comparison to the other defenses. It seems to be more of an archway than an actual gatehouse, because there is no room above the gate for a portcullis and there are no visible doors either. But I see that you probably don't want to make it any higher for artistic reasons and that a closed gate would block the view. But how about adding one opened wing on the left side of the gate (with the one on the right side being covered by the tower).
    Oh great ! Another lover of castles! We will be able to discuss at length the defense systems, the strengths and weaknesses of our drawings!
    As for this one, you are absolutely right: this arch is only there for decoration, it has no defensive role. I judged that the defenses were sufficient until this stage of progress (to reach the city, we still have to cross the bridge, which seems to me as well defended).
    If you like castles, you can also make a return on this drawing. There are several flaws (partially forgotten) in the defense of this castle ...
    Otherwise, I read that you lived in Switzerland? In what part of the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    What a stunning illustration JO, i love it. Looking forward to seeing this complete !
    Thanks Voolf ! I try to work on both drawing : the map for guildworld and this one...
    There's never enough time for mapping, I think !

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Truly inspiring work. Did you do your linework on a tablet? It looks great!
    And real nice work on the coloring and shading.

Which begs the question, how do you approach your shading to make it look so natural?
    Thanks !
    I did the first drawing on a A4 paper, with grid, using a pencil... I "doodled" it for weeks, using spare time at lunch break or so... but I had the issue of the grid : I couldn't scan the drawing without the ugly grid. And then it was my birthday.. and I was lucky enough to receive an Ipad Pro... So I scanned the drawing, and "inked" over the sketch, and completed the city and landscape.
    For the question of the shading, I don't have a precise answer : I just keep in mind that the sun comes from the left, and pass a layer of very dark blue at 35% opacity on the faces of the building that are not facing the sun (and for this one, I passed a layer of very light orange at 15% opacity on the other faces). On the ground, I use a very irregular brush, and pass a layer at 5% opacity, in multiple stroke, to give the relief... But it's very "unprofessional" method... It's just the way that seems to work for me... I hope it answer your question ?

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Oh great ! Another lover of castles! We will be able to discuss at length the defense systems, the strengths and weaknesses of our drawings!
    As for this one, you are absolutely right: this arch is only there for decoration, it has no defensive role. I judged that the defenses were sufficient until this stage of progress (to reach the city, we still have to cross the bridge, which seems to me as well defended).
    If you like castles, you can also make a return on this drawing. There are several flaws (partially forgotten) in the defense of this castle ...
    Otherwise, I read that you lived in Switzerland? In what part of the country?
    I am looking forward to discussing the strengths and weaknesses of our defense systems
    You are right, the defenses are most likely sufficient at this point, if the attacker goes threw the gate and does not breach the walls. But I assume that there will be another gate house behind this archway, which is not visible due to the chosen perspective.

I live in Bern. Since you are from Geneva, I guess your native language is french?

Quote Originally Posted by HadrianVI View Post
    I am looking forward to discussing the strengths and weaknesses of our defense systems
    You are right, the defenses are most likely sufficient at this point, if the attacker goes threw the gate and does not breach the walls. But I assume that there will be another gate house behind this archway, which is not visible due to the chosen perspective.

I live in Bern. Since you are from Geneva, I guess your native language is french?
    As you can see to my bad english... native language is french !
    So, when are you going to start a pretty plan of Bern? Or an isometric view? It is still one of the most beautiful cities in Switzerland! She deserves a beautiful plan, don't you think?

Hello !

I've had some time to put most of the colors (some adjustments required), start the shadows on the walls, but not yet the light... it's moving on :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arikarr 02.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	97405

And now, I'm confronted with my limits...

For the water, I've started to draw reflections :

Name:	Arikarr essai mer 01.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	97406

But I find it "childish", I think it deserve the rest of the picture... So I tried to make some ripple fellowing a tutorial (without the reflections, that I would add after) :

Name:	Arikarr essai mer 02.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	97407

But now it's no more a "hand drawn" picture...

So I'm a bit stuck... I don't think I can let the water without effects, but I'm not good enough to draw good effects...
    If you have any suggestions, I'm eager to read it !

Thanks for your help !

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast