Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Arikarr

It looks totally gorgeous anyway

If you insist on doing a reflection, though, have you considered making a copy of all the visible parts, flipping it vertically, stretching it till the perspective looks right, deforming it with ripples, then masking the water and deleting what isn't required of it?

Then adjusting the blend mode and transparency till its just a suggestion of a reflection.

Don't worry if it doesn't work - its only a suggestion. Like I said, it looks terrific anyway

EDIT: I know the perspective means that you only really need to reflect the city walls - the closest bit to the water, because most of the things behind that will most likely be hidden from the water and won't be reflected. You might see the tops of the towers.

Its a tricky one!

EDIT 2: Is there not a reflection tool in PS that you could use on the parts of the city that will reflect? Maybe that has ripple effects thrown in if you have?
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-09-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It looks totally gorgeous anyway

If you insist on doing a reflection, though, have you considered making a copy of all the visible parts, flipping it vertically, stretching it till the perspective looks right, deforming it with ripples, then masking the water and deleting what isn't required of it?

Then adjusting the blend mode and transparency till its just a suggestion of a reflection.

Don't worry if it doesn't work - its only a suggestion. Like I said, it looks terrific anyway

EDIT: I know the perspective means that you only really need to reflect the city walls - the closest bit to the water, because most of the things behind that will most likely be hidden from the water and won't be reflected. You might see the tops of the towers.

Its a tricky one!

EDIT 2: Is there not a reflection tool in PS that you could use on the parts of the city that will reflect? Maybe that has ripple effects thrown in if you have?
    Hello Mouse !

You're right... this solution is on my mind, but I wanted to try other solutions first, because, as you see, there is no straight "horizon" line (where the earth touch the water), so I have to cut every part, before flipping it, and then adjust every part with the other... A long work, but after serveral trial, I think it will be the best solution...

Thanks for your concern !

I'll see that next week-end..

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    As you can see to my bad english... native language is french !
    So, when are you going to start a pretty plan of Bern? Or an isometric view? It is still one of the most beautiful cities in Switzerland! She deserves a beautiful plan, don't you think?
    I already thought about that. I may adapt an old map into a different style (most likely an old top down map into an isometric one). But I need to do some more research before I am ready for that.

Anyway, I think the reflections you drew yourself were great.

Quote Originally Posted by HadrianVI View Post
    I already thought about that. I may adapt an old map into a different style (most likely an old top down map into an isometric one). But I need to do some more research before I am ready for that.
    Thanks ! And I'm looking forward to see the map of the proud city of Bern !

That's really wonderful ! Get bored more often

About the water, some effects could be great. Voolf made a tutorial a few weeks ago that could help you.

What a great illustration, love it, very picturesque, I don't mind the reflection, it's enough to give the impression, but not overpowering. Your sky is beautiful. The only element that I think might need some refinement would be the background hills and forest. What if you just define the with line work of tree forms with very subtle if any, color on them? Maybe a few mountain lines to define a little more definition?

Great job!

Some work on the shadows... I'm seeing the end of this thing, but still don't know how to do about reflections in the water and ripples...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arikarr 03.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	97620

Wow, this is great ! I'll certainly look the entire thread later, with interest.

how to do about reflections in the water and ripples
    Some blurryness and a slight wave effect (or a motion blur)?

Wow a really beautiful illustration I am thouroughly impressed.

I had missed this thread, bit it is absolutely great! From the first linework version to the latest color version, I'm truly amazed! There's so many little details to discover!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast