Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Arikarr

This is exceptional work, JO. Reminds me of Tainotim's incredible city maps.

Wingshaw
    (formerly TheHoarseWhisperer or THW)

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Hello !

Here's an update...

I think I finally found a good enough solution for the reflection on the water...

I changed the name of the city (regarding author of the story instructions). The city is located on the shores of the lake of Alirya, at the mouth of the river. You can locate the city on this map

Now the question is about a border... I was hoping to have advices on this matter... Should I draw one, or is the picture right like this ?

I'm open to your critics and comments..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arikarr 04.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	98087

For this style of map I think something in the style of a painting frame would fit it well if you decided to go with one.

It looks really great though!

I quite like it but I'd add some horizontal smudge to the reflection, it looks too digital this way.

Hey Jo, this is looking really great

I have an itch to say something about the reflections, though, and I hope you don't mind!

There is usually a lot more sideways sheer if the water is rough enough to distort the reflection as much as you have shown it being distorted. You can see it in this moon reflection, where the shape is sheered horizontally to an increasing degree the further down the page you look, and the colour of the water invades the reflection in elliptical slices.

Name:	full-moon-reflection-350-px.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	98088

Maybe, if you agree with that, it would be relatively easy to sheer what you already have from side to side by brushing it with the smudge tool, then trimming the bits that end up on the grass as a result of the moments?

EDIT: ninjad by Thomas

This is looking really good, Jo. I think this is a much better way to do the reflections, but, as others have indicated, I think they might need a little bit more work. In particular, I think Mouse's point about sideways sheer, and Thomas' point about adding smudge would help a lot. Also, my suggestion would be to have the reflection fade as it moves further away from the shore. This will make it look more realistic, I think.

Regarding the border, I think you should add one. It always helps to have a border, in my opinion. I'd suggest something simple, with only 2-3 colours. Something like this could work quite well, for example: link

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I quite like it but I'd add some horizontal smudge to the reflection, it looks too digital this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I have an itch to say something about the reflections, though, and I hope you don't mind!

There is usually a lot more sideways sheer if the water is rough enough to distort the reflection as much as you have shown it being distorted. You can see it in this moon reflection, where the shape is sheered horizontally to an increasing degree the further down the page you look, and the colour of the water invades the reflection in elliptical slices.
    Thanks Thomas and Mouse for your advices. I did the reflection again, and it sure looks a lot better now (at least I think !)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Regarding the border, I think you should add one. It always helps to have a border, in my opinion. I'd suggest something simple, with only 2-3 colours. Something like this could work quite well, for example: link

Wingshaw
    Thanks Wingshaw... you're right about the border. I looked for a long while and did at least two different border... I think this one looks not too bad...

Name:	Arikarr 05.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	5.21 MB 
ID:	98182

This should be the last WIP, now...

Wonderful job Joel !

Guild Journeyer

That is perfect! Whereas previously the reflections stood out and my brain didn't register them as, well, reflections, this way they are seamlessly a part of the landscape.

That is just totally wonderful now, Jo. The city looks much more like part of the landscape now that it has a proper reflection

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast