Thread: Europe for the upcoming RPG HeXXen1733

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Default Europe for the upcoming RPG HeXXen1733

Hey guys! =)

Last week I was at the publisher I work for to speak about an upcoming project we work on in-house. The RPG was written by Mirko Bader and is called HeXXen1733, a cineastic action-packed pen-&-paper experience soon to kickstart. A gate to hell opened in the Black Forest, a mountainous region in southwest Germany and it takes brave mercenaries, ruthless alchemists, and clever emissaries to navigate or break their way through the baroque Europe.

I had my hands on this project quite a lot, worked on layout, typefaces, and visual style we want to use (with Maik Schmidt, a colleague). And of cause I wanted it to have a striking style with the map, too. As I'm working on the finalization of it, I want to show what we came up with last week. Of cause, Mirko was on it quite a while before that and creating a system very fun to play with.

What you can't see in the picture is the many work that went on behind the scenes. ;)

I will keep this updated until the map is finished.
    Hopefully, you like this idea. I'm already so proud of this project! =)
    Best wishes, Steffen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04176.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	5.97 MB 
ID:	97293
    Visit me on ArtStation.

This is a small snippet of the style I went for, the typefaces are in there, too.
    Soon more. Also - it seems I've created a monster since Stanbul is unusual but correct... ;)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19884334_1484882138240225_4801669185913144734_n.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	97488
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Really like the style and font reads well. The drop shadow on the landforms, they make it look like they are floating above the background. The waterlines seem a little too bold? Looks like a great, large project, good luck!

Thanks! =) Yeah, it has to work both in 12x17'' and double that size, and the snippet is just the edge. I honestly don't worry about the thickness of the line. The drop shadows does wonders, you are completely right. In fact, I put it on both the land and the waterlines to make it pop out even more.

I'm actually finished now with the map, sadly I can't reveal it in its entirety yet. But in about three weeks I can =)
    Best wishes, Steffen
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I'm finally able to show the map as it is finished. Here you go and thank you. =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.