Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Malacandra

I have a plan...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Malacandra 01.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	97636

Haha, making it bigger, eh? Kudos for spending all the time to get the details and contradictions sorted. Makes me curious if the author ever sketched out his own map as a reference. Be interesting to compare visualizations.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Hey Chashio

As far as I know there's no map, but I have to admit that my search was entirely google, and I might be wrong. There are several different versions of cover art, but none of them are like a map - more of a picture of a single scene.

If anyone discovers a sketch it would indeed be really interesting to see if what I made of the descriptions tallies at all with the original sketch.

EDIT: This Google image search shows a huge range of images. Some are book covers down through the ages (some of which I wonder if the artist ever read the book, since the colours are wrong, and the trees do not have ordinary leaves like those shown on one of the covers!), some are of the characters, and some are nothing at all to do with Lewis, or Malacandra, but Iron Maiden...
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-17-2017 at 01:16 PM.

There will now be a delay that might continue for some considerable time, since the question of copyright has been raised about a similar idea (creating a map that is wholly inspired by a published novel) raised in another thread.

I am now uncertain about the wisdom of continuing to make this map, because although I have absolutely no intention of selling it or making money with it in any way, the internet being what it is (and some people believing that they can do what they like with images uploaded to the web regardless of the author or any copyright statement), I can't guarantee that no one else will make money out of it without me being aware of it in the future.

The only thing I can do right now, is just call a halt to the work and wait to hear back from the current publisher of Out of the Silent Planet (whom I have emailed this morning). I have asked if they hold the copyright, or if they publish the work on licence, and if so, who I should contact. I have also given them a brief description of what I am... was doing

EDIT: I've made a decision to discontinue this map. Sorry guys!
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-19-2017 at 04:28 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I honestly think you're worried over nothing, but you have to do what you're comfortable with.

Thanks D.

Unfortunately I have well and truly lost my mapping mojo over this one!

But I am very much looking forward to the new 2 month challenge you've got lined up for us all

Sad to read you're stopping this one (even if I can understand the "why"). Maybe you could do a map with this kind of very cool perspective, on a weird far planet of your own? I'd be interested in it.

Aw, thank you, Ilanthar

If you, or anyone else, want to have a go at the same perspective I made myself a spherical perspective grid. Its not absolutely correct because I rendered it from Blender, and I'm not really an expert at all the technical aspects of that piece of software, but - here it is

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spherical Perspective.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	8.42 MB 
ID:	97728

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Oh, that's handy! *swipes*

Thanks for the ressource, Mouse! It's way more bigger and detailed than my usual grids .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast