Thread: Map-Newbie on the run~

Default Map-Newbie on the run~

Hi there guys,

to say the truth I'm a bloody newbie to map making. But I'm keen to try and to learn, especially with that many ideas of different worlds filling my head. I'm not a native-speaker so... sorry if my language may be difficult to understand at times.
    What else to say... Well, I'm a hobby writer so the maps I want to create are mostly for myself to visualize the ideas I have.
    I'm also a cat owner (or I'm owned by a cat - not quite sure what fits best here...). I have a M.Sc. and I'm working in a biobank, so~ I keep things cool

So, nice to be here

greets,
    Lew

I was new not long ago either : )

Try different styles and search for tutorials

Welcome to the guild
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Hi Lew, and welcome. If you're looking for somewhere to start, I highly recommend working through two or three tutorials, just to learn some basics. This thread has a bunch of PDFs you can download and they'll teach you some basic techniques that you can take further on your own.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Welcome we're glad to have you

Thanks guys I'm already on it.
    Thanks for the Link, ChickPea. I guess, tomorrow I will start my first map. The tutorials I found here and on Deviantart are great and easy to follow :3

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lewellyn View Post
    Hi there guys,

to say the truth I'm a bloody newbie to map making. But I'm keen to try and to learn, especially with that many ideas of different worlds filling my head. I'm not a native-speaker so... sorry if my language may be difficult to understand at times.
    What else to say... Well, I'm a hobby writer so the maps I want to create are mostly for myself to visualize the ideas I have.
    I'm also a cat owner (or I'm owned by a cat - not quite sure what fits best here...). I have a M.Sc. and I'm working in a biobank, so~ I keep things cool

So, nice to be here

greets,
    Lew
    Welcome!

Well, my mapmaking started out with me not being able to draw and a need to visualize what I imagine for my novel. And with patience, I am able to do that now. So just go for it!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi XCali,
    thank you Yes, patience is the key. And time, I guess
    I've found some very helpful tutorials, also on other websites, and with them I was able to already generate six different maps. One of them is this: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170728/9vntv9er.png
    Well, it's not entirely the result from the ideas in my head because atm I'm working with nebula photographs turning them into maps but for the moment this will do the job until I'm more experienced with GIMP and Wilbur.