Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Western Realms

Nice one!
    Also, you've got a very interesting solution for city names that wont fit because there's no space... Will have to remember that
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

Very nice ... and very belieaveable Italian names . Why you chose that language out of curiosity? 🙂

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    YOu don't want to get in on this, the interest rates are hellish.

Very nice lineart all around, and I like that you've worked in different shades of black, white and grey.The pattern you'ved used to fill the border is also rather neat.
    1. Nobody wants the Rep Mafia after them!!
    2. Thanks! Yeah, I thought that pattern worked pretty nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    It is interesting to see how your mountains stand out well in black and white and as always your coast line is admirable! I have always loved your imagination with regard to coasts
    But I must confess that I am less convinced by the forests, because of black and white. Undoubtedly in colors, they would stand out very well, however ...
    Yes, in B&W they're a bit hard to pick out. I'm working on another map right now with the same style forests, and I'll try color on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Excellent map, with your unmissable style . The B&W make obvious your fine line work, but I kinda wonder how it would look with one of those old parchment background of yours and a few touch of colors here and there.
    I might go back and color it eventually. I tend to be 'fire-and-forget' with my maps though... Oh, and as to your other question, the Witch Towers are remnants/ruined skyscrapers of an ancient civilization. A couple of necromancers have staked out territory there.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Spiffin' map! I love this.
    It's very Diamond-esque (a good thing) and really looks like it would be for a novel.
    The forests work great!
    Did you hand draw those wavelines? They look so perfect.
    There's something about detailed B&W maps like this that I really love. Most definitely rep worthy1
    Thanks man!
    The coastal/wave lines were done by making a standard expand selection, inner stroke of 1 pixel, then using the Pointilize filter at different settings for each line. The effect really only works well on B&W maps because its not really breaking up the line, it's only putting down spots of white over the layer.

Quote Originally Posted by mat_r View Post
    Nice one!
    Also, you've got a very interesting solution for city names that wont fit because there's no space... Will have to remember that
    Yeah, wasn't sure it would be effective, but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Very nice ... and very belieaveable Italian names . Why you chose that language out of curiosity? ��
    I love medieval and Renaissance Italian culture and history! Many many many of my maps have a region of feuding Italian-esque city states or small nations; the story-telling possibilities and coolness factor are just so huge I can't resist.
    The more southern cultures are supposed to have more of a Spanish flavor, while the ones in the north are pseudo-English with a hint of French. And Harkun is actually a Dwarven nation.
    Last edited by Diamond; 07-28-2017 at 02:59 PM.

The Diamond doesn't fail!

I really dig your style, man. I always love how you manage to make the different elements come together in a balanced whole, and this one is no exception. I'm usually not that fond of BW maps, but this one manages to not mess with my eyes. The font choices are spot on, the border and compass look great. The new forest style works too, keep at it!

I've been meaning to ask you, do you draw your coastlines freehand or is there some sort of trick to them? Your landshapes always look fantastic, and since that is my personal Achilles' Heel, I can't help but be jealous
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Really great. I love how clean and clear it is. Your maps are really accessible and that's something I personally like a lot. Also really like the border

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    The Diamond doesn't fail!

I really dig your style, man. I always love how you manage to make the different elements come together in a balanced whole, and this one is no exception. I'm usually not that fond of BW maps, but this one manages to not mess with my eyes. The font choices are spot on, the border and compass look great. The new forest style works too, keep at it!

I've been meaning to ask you, do you draw your coastlines freehand or is there some sort of trick to them? Your landshapes always look fantastic, and since that is my personal Achilles' Heel, I can't help but be jealous
    Thank you!
    For my coastlines, I make a cloud layer then mess with the black and white scale until I get some interesting shapes, repeating as necessary. Then I cut and paste together the shapes into the overall whole I wanted. Then I trace the outline freehand. I usually have a rough idea before-hand what I want things to look like in the end. It's time-consuming, but it never fails to produce realistic shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Weery View Post
    Really great. I love how clean and clear it is. Your maps are really accessible and that's something I personally like a lot. Also really like the border
    Aww, thanks man!
    Last edited by Diamond; 07-28-2017 at 04:45 PM.

It looks great Diamond, very nice. I could easily imagine this being in a book!

As always, killer landshapes (that's what you are known for, at least in my book ). Very strong mountains as well. As i do dislike that kind of forest-style (with a passion), i really hope you'll get disenchanted with it quickly

Can i ask you, D, do you have any connections to Italy? Maybe that's too personal a question ^^ Why i ask? You have lots of very italian sounding names on your maps...in general, not just on this one (italian/spanish i guess).

Anyway....good looking map, overall. Is this just a style test or do you also have some cool background worked out for this piece? (you know me by now, don't you )
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    It looks great Diamond, very nice. I could easily imagine this being in a book!
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    As always, killer landshapes (that's what you are known for, at least in my book ). Very strong mountains as well. As i do dislike that kind of forest-style (with a passion), i really hope you'll get disenchanted with it quickly

Can i ask you, D, do you have any connections to Italy? Maybe that's too personal a question ^^ Why i ask? You have lots of very italian sounding names on your maps...in general, not just on this one (italian/spanish i guess).

Anyway....good looking map, overall. Is this just a style test or do you also have some cool background worked out for this piece? (you know me by now, don't you )
    I dub thee Sir Neverpleased!

Nope, no Italian connections as far as I know (German & English), I just dig medieval & Renaissance history, Italy in particular. When I was big into alternate history 10 or 12 years ago, I had to do a lot of research on the era and I just fell in love with it. If I had the money I'd go back to school and get a degree.

No real background for this one, just playing around.

By Diamond
    Nope, no Italian connections as far as I know
    Not even Joe Pesci? Nobody ever spoke to you about the resemblance?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast