Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: August/September 2017 Challenge: O'Gray's Pearls

Default August/September 2017 Challenge: O'Gray's Pearls

Captain Fredericka Ogrit, one of our foremost stellar explorers, discovered the mysterious cubes that bear her name while seeking the origins of the Gamajar people.

The cubes exist in the orbit of a dead star which (despite the insistence of the Gamajar, who pinpointed this solar system as he location of their ancient and original homeworld) appears to have no planets whatsoever.

There are only the cubes, which appear to be pockets of time that are locked into a dimension of their own, while remaining in orbit of the dead star. The cubes are visible in this dimension, and the structures they contain may be viewed from all angles, but to date no one has yet managed to find a way into any one of them.

While at first glance the cubes contain very different environments, the basic layout within each cube appears to be more or less identical.

This is Ogrit's sketch of the one thing the Cubes all have in common

Name:  Ogrit cube plan.png
Views: 420
Size:  19.5 KB

3 Regular Challenges:

May 2010 - Filling a Gap in Space and Time
    February 2013 - Submerged
    October 2008 - Urban Mapping

1 Lite Challenge:

June/July 2012 - Fun with Isometrics
    Last edited by Mouse; 08-04-2017 at 07:04 AM.

A section of city - very crude, sketched in Sketchup and using Textures.com textures

(there's no WIP tag yet because this is only a relatively small section of the map)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ogrits cube 1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1,011.9 KB 
ID:	98234

I'm going with the ISO thing for now, but I may have to break into full perspective and use one of the other Lite challenge themes.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Wow!. I can't wait to see what you do with this!

Hmmm

You and me both!

I'm not entirely sure this is going down the right road, but I've finished the draft section.

Maybe I should have used the daytime city textures I got...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ogrits cube 2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	914.3 KB 
ID:	98237

Need to think about my next move, since this is only about 1/10 of the map - IF I use it.
    Last edited by Mouse; 08-05-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Now that's some out of the cube thinking right there!

This looks and sounds super cool already Mouse I'm glad it's only 1/10 of it as well. More to see!

Thanks Weery

I'm having a fundamental problem trying to keep the idea pure and in line with the boundaries laid down by the themes I have chosen.

Things are changing so fast in my thoughts that what seemed like a brilliant idea yesterday now feels all second hat and a bit rubbish compared to a whole raft of new ideas I've had overnight. I'm in danger of being distracted and creating a map that doesn't really fit any theme.

If I ignore all the deliciously enticing (but totally irrelevant) new ideas I've had overnight, what I need to do is add a portal to the city block - the 'one way in' described by the Filling a Gap in Space and Time theme.

Then to get out of the city block trap I may need another portal into a second block, and from there into a third block.... and so on until you escape all the blocks by leaving the last one, which I think I will label 'home'.

I think I may have to ditch the Submerged theme, even though I've been dying to do an underwater map for a while now. I already have the Urban Mapping and Filling a Gap in Space and Time themes.

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong with this Challenge - wanting to do a bit of all the challenges instead of choosing and sticking to just two of them.

I see from the other thread that you've decided to shelve your current idea. Hope you can figure out what you want to do. I always remember a primary school teacher telling me that she liked to see kids rubbing out whatever they'd just written, as it meant they'd thought of something better. So, onward and upward!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks ChickPea

I hope so to! LOL!

I'm still wavering on whether I do away with this one entirely and start all over again, or not...

It may be a couple of days before I'm really sure, and in that time I'll update this thread with all the sketchy 'thinking things through' WIPs

Haha, oh to be one of those people who think things through before they dive in with both feet! That's never been me, and at least you realised after one day that you were going in the wrong direction.

You could remove the Latest WIP tags from your previous post for now, since it's kinda obsolete, and just start again when you're ready.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I'm more the sort that dives in both feet first, discovers its a WHOLE lot deeper than I thought it was, and only then decides to stop and think about it! LOL!

Oh yes! I'll do the tags now - thanks

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast