Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: August/September 2017 Challenge: Darkwood Harbour

Looks good! You might want to think about compressing the sea texture a bit vertically - at the moment it feels like we're looking straight down at the sea, which doesn't match up with the angle on the land.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Those cliffs are looking good. It's hard to work out at this stage what scale you're going with. I'm keen to see where you take this idea.

Wingshaw
    Thanks! I think I'm planning roughly the same scale as my Nessa'Mor map, though just a tad closer to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by mewo2 View Post
    Looks good! You might want to think about compressing the sea texture a bit vertically - at the moment it feels like we're looking straight down at the sea, which doesn't match up with the angle on the land.
    Hehe, thanks! I didn't even look at the perspective of the sea so far. I'll be sure to sort it on my next run by.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Wip Texture Tryouts 2

Hi!

Today is about tryouts! I'm testing stuff. And feedback would be very welcome.

So, I figured I'd play more with the land textures. I did try to differentiate the layers, as I feel the beach esque part needs to be lighter than the rest. I'm still up in air about that.

The cliffs got their first attempt at a multiply texture. Let me know if it works or not. Or if it needs to be lighter or darker?

Then I tried something with the sea. It is heavily experimental, but it shows promise.

And lastly, I figured I would start playing around with the scale of things. (The building is just a placeholder, nothing more.)

Have a lovely day!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darkwood_Land_Cliffs_and Sea_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	98274

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

I'm having serious problems editing comments tonight, so apologies if this is spelt all wrong! I can't seem to click back into things I've already typed.

Looking at your own avatar should speak volumes about how light/dark a beach usually is compared with the land.

The ocean looks good

The ocean looks pretty good, but I think you should try to make the water lighter (or possibly more turquoise) closer to the shore, to indicate that it is shallower. You could also try adding waves (little white furry snakes).

I like the colour of the cliffs a lot more now. One thing I'm a bit puzzled by: why is the base colour for the land so brown? Isn't green more...normal? And, as Mouse said, having a lighter colour near the shore might be representative of a beach.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Looking at your own avatar should speak volumes about how light/dark a beach usually is compared with the land.

The ocean looks good
    Cool beans, I'll see what happens if I try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    The ocean looks pretty good, but I think you should try to make the water lighter (or possibly more turquoise) closer to the shore, to indicate that it is shallower. You could also try adding waves (little white furry snakes).

I like the colour of the cliffs a lot more now. One thing I'm a bit puzzled by: why is the base colour for the land so brown? Isn't green more...normal? And, as Mouse said, having a lighter colour near the shore might be representative of a beach.
    Wingshaw
    Thanks.
    the shallow water is going to happen, either way, I was just seeing if the texture for the ocean could work before I started with the finer details.

The green for the land point is one to discuss though, green represents grass and not all land has a grass covering. BUT, I will test it out to see if it change it for the better.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Discuss Ocean and grass

Hi!

Today I tackled the ocean a bit. This texture handles a bit different than my Nessa'Mor ocean. So, it has been a learning school
    I tried making darker versions of the texture and use a cloud brush to get the deeper waters effect, but, it feels like it can be done better. Emphasis is on feels.
    Same with the beach. I might revisit it.

With the feedback, I also threw on a grassy look on my land textures. The middle section is where most of the city is going to be so I figured it needed a bit more patchy type grass. The top is where the creepy forest will be, so I kept it darker.
    (This is still the texture trials. I'll start with my buildings and forest at a later date.)

Let me know what you think.

Name:	Darkwood_Grass_DeeperOcean_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	98314

EDIT:
    ACH!!! Layer Slippage! Sorry!
    Last edited by XCali; 08-06-2017 at 01:48 PM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Discuss Sorry for the layer slippage jpeg!

Okay, regrouping.

I really don't like it when the working file is fine, but the moment you export to jpeg you get layer slippage... sigh.

Here is a patched up version. With my first trial of buildings. I was pondering if I should go for the same style I had for Nessa'Mor or not. But, for now, they are in ISO.

I still have the same questions of the PREVIOUS post. This post was just to fix the layer slippage and adding a trial for buildings.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Darkwood_Grass_DeeperOcean_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	98315
    Last edited by XCali; 08-06-2017 at 01:54 PM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Since one of your chosen themes is the isometric one, I'd stick with the new isometric buildings to reinforce that part of it. They look pretty cool.

Even though this is a 2 month 'Diamond special', you will find time slipping past quite quickly, so even if you aren't completely satisfied with the ocean part of it, why not get a head start on the forests and buildings and revisit the ocean later? Having it 3/4 done half way through is a huge boost - as opposed to only having done the ocean at the half way mark.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I completely agree with Mouse - I've found it's better to get a huge chunk of the whole project done, even if everything isn't completely perfect, and then have all that time left to go back and tweak things. It's a big morale booster for sure.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast