Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: August/September 2017 Challenge: Darkwood Harbour

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Question Update!

Hi!

I finally got some time and inspiration to continue with the map. So here are a few additions. I added a notice that is nailed to a notice board in the center of the town. Also, I tried a border and attempted the roads.
    I do have a question though. If the ship is my trading ship, do you think I should label it thus?
    Another thing, is the font legible?

(I know there are some glitches with the road. I'll see to it on my next run through.)

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darkwood_border_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	7.88 MB 
ID:	99558

To do list:
    Shadows
    Better shading.
    And if there is time, to flesh out the harbour.
    Last edited by XCali; 09-26-2017 at 03:42 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

This is looking very nearly finished.

I keep saying this, I know I do, but I really like the colours, and the trees, and that special building you've named the 'Explorer's Guild' - and of course the beautiful ship.

Now to business...

Not sure I understand the ship question, but I like the font you used on the notice board better than the font on the map. What if you use the notice board font for the map as well, but not italic?

Where you say 'had' twice in the notice, it might read a little better if you say 'has' in those two places?

Other than that its all looking really good

I would second Mouse's suggestion on the grammar, and would add some spelling corrections:

"subterranean" has a double r
    "Lieutenant" needs an i
    "Regrettably" has a double t

My favorite part of this map is the shading on the roofs, although I also rather like the cliffs and the forest.

If the ship's identity is important to the map, it should be labeled. Often ships are put on harbor maps in a vaguely representative "there be ships here" way, which I think is misleading. In this case, you are doing a campaign start map, I believe, as one of the challenges, so you are mapping a specific moment and can meaningfully show the locations of actual ships at that time. Identifying the ship with a label makes it clearer that this is indeed the case (i.e., that you are actually mapping a ship location, not using the ship as artwork that does not represent a real map element).

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    This is looking very nearly finished.

I keep saying this, I know I do, but I really like the colours, and the trees, and that special building you've named the 'Explorer's Guild' - and of course the beautiful ship.

Now to business...

Not sure I understand the ship question, but I like the font you used on the notice board better than the font on the map. What if you use the notice board font for the map as well, but not italic?

Where you say 'had' twice in the notice, it might read a little better if you say 'has' in those two places?

Other than that its all looking really good
    Ah, thank you, Sue! And when you say colours, what do you refer to?

Yeah, I had a feeling I got some of the grammar wrong. It is fixed now, so thanks for the heads up.
    I'll take note of your suggestion about the font. Though, for now, I feel a little reluctant to change it. It is the first map font I tried that is actually readable when zoomed out. So... I don't know. And taking how incredibly hard it is to choose a good font for a map doubles that reluctance. BUT, I will think on it. I have what, 2 days left? Ack!!! There is so much still left to do! I don't know what I should focus on first!?
    What do you feel I should add to the map or the harbour itself? If I may ask.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    I would second Mouse's suggestion on the grammar, and would add some spelling corrections:

"subterranean" has a double r
    "Lieutenant" needs an i
    "Regrettably" has a double t

My favorite part of this map is the shading on the roofs, although I also rather like the cliffs and the forest.

If the ship's identity is important to the map, it should be labeled. Often ships are put on harbor maps in a vaguely representative "there be ships here" way, which I think is misleading. In this case, you are doing a campaign start map, I believe, as one of the challenges, so you are mapping a specific moment and can meaningfully show the locations of actual ships at that time. Identifying the ship with a label makes it clearer that this is indeed the case (i.e., that you are actually mapping a ship location, not using the ship as artwork that does not represent a real map element).
    Thanks!
    As I told Mouse, the grammar stuff is fixed now hopefully.

And yeah, I need the ship to be more of a standout to hit my TRADING part of the challenge. The boxes and store areas help with that too.
    I also added notice boards on the map itself to give the campaign starter an extra heads up.
    Last edited by XCali; 09-27-2017 at 11:11 AM.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Wip Fixes and additions!

Hi!

I fixed the roads and some grammar issues. Then, I went on to add notice boards and a watchtower to the seafront.
    I really do want to ask about what else do you think I should add to the harbour? (And the circle, for that matter. I still have no clue what to put there.)

Anyhoo,
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darkwood_NoticeBoard_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	7.90 MB 
ID:	99569

EDIT: This is a more technical question, is what I have done enough to hint at Campaign Starter and Trading. If not, I need to know, because, yeah the days left are few.
    Last edited by XCali; 09-27-2017 at 11:23 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Hi!

I really do want to ask about what else do you think I should add to the harbour?
    Fishing spots? Maybe some rocks near that watchtower? Another ship or boat?

(And the circle, for that matter. I still have no clue what to put there.)
    It'd be a good spot for a fountain, but you already have that covered. A statue? A stake for burning heretics at? A big magic circle for outdoor summoning? A duel? Some sort of athletic competition (wrestling, maybe)? Some fruit trees? A mysterious obelisk? Performers (musicians, jugglers, or maybe a dancing bear)?

Everything seems to be pretty well finished, XCali. If you feel there is something missing, I can't really tell you what it is.

Perhaps experiment with the position of the title a bit - maybe move it to the left hand top corner? Its quite close to the label for the Explorer's Guild at the moment, which draws the eye away towards the top of the map, and may even be why you feel the sea is somehow empty in comparison. Try moving the title, and see how you feel about the composition then. I have a feeling the ocean might seem less empty if the title isn't competing for attention with the guild label

As for the colours - I think you have a way of choosing harmonious colours that work well together. The trees are particularly good

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

It looks OK for me too ! And the note on the board sure is a campaign starter ! No problem here !

Question

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Fishing spots? Maybe some rocks near that watchtower? Another ship or boat?

It'd be a good spot for a fountain, but you already have that covered. A statue? A stake for burning heretics at? A big magic circle for outdoor summoning? A duel? Some sort of athletic competition (wrestling, maybe)? Some fruit trees? A mysterious obelisk? Performers (musicians, jugglers, or maybe a dancing bear)?
    Thanks for the brainstorming! It helped. I tried a mysterious tree for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Everything seems to be pretty well finished, XCali. If you feel there is something missing, I can't really tell you what it is.

Perhaps experiment with the position of the title a bit - maybe move it to the left hand top corner? Its quite close to the label for the Explorer's Guild at the moment, which draws the eye away towards the top of the map, and may even be why you feel the sea is somehow empty in comparison. Try moving the title, and see how you feel about the composition then. I have a feeling the ocean might seem less empty if the title isn't competing for attention with the guild label

As for the colours - I think you have a way of choosing harmonious colours that work well together. The trees are particularly good
    Aww, you make me blush. Thanks Mouse.
    I tried the title, and you are right, it works better than above the Explorers Guild.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    It looks OK for me too ! And the note on the board sure is a campaign starter ! No problem here !

Hmmm,
    Well, I added more of a Market to reinforce the trading part too. So, hopefully, it works better now?

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Ummmm.... do you have a new map to upload, XCali?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast