Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: August September 2017 Challenge: The Prince's rapt

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wip August September 2017 Challenge: The Prince's rapt

Some vacation coming ahead... so I want to give this a try !

I choose :

REGULAR CHALLENGES

1-Urban Mapping
    2-In the Beginning: A Campaign Starter

LITE CHALLENGE

3-Fun With Isometrics

Here's the plan (with all my excuses for the bad english)

It is to a real plot that one witnesses: while the prince was to spend an incognito night with a nobleman of the kingdom during his diplomatic journey to the neighboring kingdom, the rebellion's henchmen got wind of this stage ( No doubt with the complicity of people of the court). They took advantage of it to quickly set up a kidnapping that would enable them to finally overthrow the king.

In the very early morning, four mercenaries entered the noble's house, killed the occupants and took the prince to throw him to a cart. Everything seems to run smoothly ... But it is without counting with the luck that accompanies the prince since his youngest age.

While the kidnappers have almost arrived at the cart, they find four heroes on their way: a dwarf, strongly avined, who has just left the tavern of the old tower. A soldier who has moved away from the patrol because she is intrigued by this cart on the square. An elf, who just burgled a house and went out through a window on the roof. She thinks that the kidnapped person may well be very grateful. And finally, a young magician from the nearby school, who was training to launch a spell of danger detection during one of his numerous insomnia, and the spell worked beyond his expectations ...

These 4 heroes who will save the prince and who did not know each other, are at the beginning of an adventure that will completely change their lives...

So here's the plan of this part of the city, fellowing the plan given to the "Urban Mapping challenge", drawn in 3D, in order to respect the "Fun with Isometric" challenge

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon's gift ipad.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	514.4 KB 
ID:	98430

I intend draw again all the buildings and shadows, to give an early morning atmosphere, and also to zoom in the image, so that the characters are visible... the most difficult part for me will be to draw those characters... since I don't know to draw persons....

Anyway, the dices are thrown, and we shall see what happens..

Looking great already , Jo

Isometric view is different to true perspective view. There are no vanishing points like you have with your first image above (the sides are converging into the background).

You can set up Sketchup to provide a true isometric view by setting the Camera to 'Parallel perspective', and clicking the 'ISO' button (the button with the little house on it) at the top left of the toolbars.

It looks like it's in ISO to me, it's hard to tell because the buildings aren't built straight in the original layout. Looking forwards to this Jo!

The sides of the 'block' on which they are built are converging towards a vanishing point. In true isometric perspective they would be parallel because the block itself is rectangular.

Please don't worry though. I've no intention of being a stickler for things being totally correct, when the Challenge is about fun. True perspective looks better than iso. I'm thinking of doing mine in true perspective as well, and adopting one of the other Lite Challenge themes instead

Hah! Good catch. But honestly the buildings don't look like they are converging at all, I took a ruler to my screen and you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Looking great already , Jo

Isometric view is different to true perspective view. There are no vanishing points like you have with your first image above (the sides are converging into the background).

You can set up Sketchup to provide a true isometric view by setting the Camera to 'Parallel perspective', and clicking the 'ISO' button (the button with the little house on it) at the top left of the toolbars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Hah! Good catch. But honestly the buildings don't look like they are converging at all, I took a ruler to my screen and you are right.
    Thanks both of you... I didn't know that !
    So, here's the ISO view, fellowing Mouse advices... Is it right ?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Dragon's gift 02.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	213.6 KB 
ID:	98449

That definitely looks iso to me

You don't have to do it ISO, you know. (I feel a bit guilty for pointing it out now! oops!)

If you decide to stick with it, you can adjust the view by moving the camera view around and clicking the little house thing again. It snaps to the closest ISO view available.

Looking at those buildings I'm going to have to get my skates on if I want to stand a chance in this here challenge

Looking extremely good now

Definitely ISO now. It looked better in perspective though, everything does. For instance check out the change in that grey roof just behind the cone roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That definitely looks iso to me

You don't have to do it ISO, you know. (I feel a bit guilty for pointing it out now! oops!)

If you decide to stick with it, you can adjust the view by moving the camera view around and clicking the little house thing again. It snaps to the closest ISO view available.

Looking at those buildings I'm going to have to get my skates on if I want to stand a chance in this here challenge

Looking extremely good now
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Definitely ISO now. It looked better in perspective though, everything does. For instance check out the change in that grey roof just behind the cone roof.
    You are right, Falconius... I will have to arrange this roof : it doesn't mean anything this way !

Thanks for your quick answer, both of you ! I can go on now... in the utmost respect for the rules !

I intend to zoom in the picture, in order that the characters could be visible...
    This is the picture I want to use, but I'm not sure the characters will mean something in that... The problem is that if I zoom more in, some building that I find interesting will be completely cut off...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	The prince s rapt Ipad.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	7.65 MB 
ID:	98452
    Last edited by - JO -; 08-10-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Oh dear - I am so sorry, Jo - my bad!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast