Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 57 - Hustleflow Port [Voolf]

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    The wooden building remind of a public execution place. Now I see that the steps would be too big and far away for humans.
    Haha, maybe i should redraw it then... You reffer to the same building with the steps? because those are not steps. I wanted to make some framing of the building stick out. A long thick beams that indicates the building should be bigger, but its not complete. Maybe it is a fail attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    And the ruins look really great.
    Don't know why destroyed things always look great.
    Agree, i like ruins too. Maybe its because they look more chaotic with all those strones around, thus more complex and real ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    I think that when I finish my current challenge map I'll probably return to finish at least one half of district 15. I'm hoping that all the things I've learned by doing Scribble Rock and the Hanging Gardens of Magrael, will greatly improve the finished appearance of district 15.
    Ah, you divided one section in two.... you little clever one !
    I am sure you use your new knowledge well for completing those sections.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

This is already looking amazing Voolf! Can't wait to see you colour it. I don't know if it had been asked already, but how do you draw the buildings? Their linework is so impressive!

Thanks Daniel.

First i use rectangle tool to draw perfectly right angles roofs. I rotate every rectangle so every each is facing the way i want. Unfortunately in Krita rotating make the lines looks worse, so this is just a preparation phase to me. After i got every rectangle placed (which will be my roofs sides), i create new layer and use line tool with pressure senstivity and i draw every line with my tablet on new layer. I don't know if PS has this function now, but 2 years back i could not use Line tool with pen pressure in PS. I love that function in Krita. That allows me to create straight lines with the exact weight i want (it makes line thinner and thicker as i press harder or lighter on all its lenght). I follow the rectangles lines to get the perfecty right angle for my roofs.
    After that i draw every addition on roofs more or less to match the right angle. This was a bit difficult at the beginning, but after some practice i get better and faster with it.

For the curved lines i use basic brush tool with stabilizer to make them nice and smooth.

All of this is a workaround for me, beause you have much more control over your strokes when you draw on a paper or display (which you can see both the pen and your hand) When you work with simple tablet waching not your hand, but pc screen it's nearly impossible to draw right angles, or two perfectly parallel lines. I use this method only for building. Any other maps i use basic round hard brush with pressure sensivity for my lines.
    Last edited by Voolf; 08-30-2017 at 06:01 AM.
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

I am not sure about that port bridges in terms of planks sizes. I think they maybe a little bit too large ?
    On the other hand, i don't want to draw them even smaller, at leat not in this style. Maybe more sketchy bridges without precision strokes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section57_v1.7.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	98905
    New Horizons

Support:

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Thanks Daniel.

First i use rectangle tool to draw perfectly right angles roofs. I rotate every rectangle so every each is facing the way i want. Unfortunately in Krita rotating make the lines looks worse, so this is just a preparation phase to me. After i got every rectangle placed (which will be my roofs sides), i create new layer and use line tool with pressure senstivity and i draw every line with my tablet on new layer. I don't know if PS has this function now, but 2 years back i could not use Line tool with pen pressure in PS. I love that function in Krita. That allows me to create straight lines with the exact weight i want (it makes line thinner and thicker as i press harder or lighter on all its lenght). I follow the rectangles lines to get the perfecty right angle for my roofs.
    After that i draw every addition on roofs more or less to much the right angle. This was a bit difficult at the beginning, but after some practice i get better and faster with it.

For the curved lines i use basic brush tool with stabilizer to make them nice and smooth.

All of this is a workaround for me, beause you have much more control over your strokes when you draw on a paper or display (which you can see both the pen and your hand) When you work with simple tablet waching not your hand, but pc screen it's nearly impossible to draw right angles, or two perfectly parallel lines. I use this method only for building. Any other maps i use basic round hard brush with pressure sensivity for my lines.
    Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, Voolf! Very much appreciated (:

As for the plank sizes. I don't think they're too large, really. Maybe slightly, but nothing that stands out to me. I'm not sure what the 'more sketchy bridges without precision strokes' will look like, but I think the style that you've got now fits very well with the map, so if it doesn't bother you too much I would say: keep it. Let's hear what the others have to say.

I think the planks look good, however they are not to scale (how much were the squares again 3 feet? 5 feet?), which may lead to visceral confusion (ie it makes things look like the should be a certain scale but in reality they are twice as large). I'd go for your other suggestion and make it sketchier.

Yes i was afraid of that. I see that everyone of us is making bit different scale. I am not worrying about squares, but are the planks too big in comparison to the buildings?
    New Horizons

Support:

The squares are 5ft, but don't worry about it too much Voolf. Its such a beautiful drawing - and who can say how wide we saw our planks in a fantasy city where dragons really do exist

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

No problems on the size of the boards from my point of view ...

Guild Expert

How did I miss this!? Looks amazing, as always, and I especially like the little piles of rubble you have strewn about... Looks really good so far.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast