Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Little World of LohreFen

I like this a lot, John. The deliberately exaggerated scale of the mountains (or the smallness of the world) adds extra interest. The only thing I'd critique is that I think this would look even better with a splash of colour, or perhaps some stylised constellations/stars/clouds in the sky.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm a strong believer in the fact that story is all about the characters. If you took the characters out of GoT, for example, what actually happens in terms of world events would fit in one short story.

What I see in your map is the potential for a whole cast of characters to be leading all their various different lives, with all their various different dreams and adventures, sometimes interacting, sometimes not - just like GoT

Not even GoT would be much without the maps, though (IMHO), and with maps like yours any novel based on Lohre-Fen would be totally absorbing.
    LohreFen doesn't have that much backstory. I have other worlds that do have more story.
    I've posted some of the maps from Luma. And some from Nhyn.
    Luma has a fair amount of back story. The Nhyn backstory is growing.
    The story worlds with the most story I haven't posted anything from yet.
    I haven't even spoken about them yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Wow...another beauty (what did i expect ^^). Love it.

You know, i'd like to see this map in a classical version/perspective.

Also, will there be a color version of this? I'm just asking because..well...it would be cool to have one () ...but on a more serious note because you often do both b/w and color.

Oh and good to hear there will be more "little worlds", looking forward to it (and to the grey world as well).
    Thank you Eilathen
    This will probably not have a color version, mainly because I am shorter on time and have way too much new stuff to create.
    Oh, and work too. Maybe a bit of eating thrown in there to, just to stay up with some nutrition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    I like this a lot, John. The deliberately exaggerated scale of the mountains (or the smallness of the world) adds extra interest. The only thing I'd critique is that I think this would look even better with a splash of colour, or perhaps some stylised constellations/stars/clouds in the sky.

Wingshaw
    Thanks Wingshaw
    That is a good idea for the stylized stars.
    I may have to try that and see what it looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimPaul View Post
    Well done!
    Thanks so much Tim

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    LohreFen doesn't have that much backstory. I have other worlds that do have more story.
    I've posted some of the maps from Luma. And some from Nhyn.
    Luma has a fair amount of back story. The Nhyn backstory is growing.
    The story worlds with the most story I haven't posted anything from yet.
    I haven't even spoken about them yet. :O
    Backstories/novels grow like plants. You start with a simple idea like a seed, but it grows over time as the idea matures. You'll soon have more than enough to write about - if only you can find the time

Great work John! The perspective looks perfect!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

The colors make this a welcome change from "ordinary" B&W maps, and the lineart is as great as I have come to expect from you, J.

John, I really envy your talent for displaying your splendid maps (subtle mixes, different views, or perspective like this one). What a fine map! I also like the simple yet efficient small shields.

And you pull two Thurians back to back ! You're really motivating me to try and do an entire one !

This is lovely. I like the monotone colouring. I don't think it needs more (though it'd be interesting to see what you'd do, if you were to colour it). It looks like a great place to explore.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

One of my favorite pieces by you in a while, J. I love the clean look of it, I think this is map that works best when drawn digitally. Your linework is good enough to carry a lot of character even when done in digital form (you are a Cintiq user, do I remember correctly?). And the perspective is indeed interesting, but it works splendidly! I also really like the subtle little coats of arms.

I actually disagree with some of the voices here - I think this simple two-color look works perfectly. The blue ocean is more than enough to help the eye separate the land and sea, and I love how clear it makes the whole piece. A darn fantastic map all and all!

Ps. What is that font you used for the title? It looks great and I need it.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast