Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DNS problems

Blog Entries

I wasnt aware of the dos problem but I had seen the site intermittantly sluggish. Its not been offline for me tho.

Its probably a good idea to ping the site, note down the IP address and add it to your hosts file just incase the DNS goes offline. Given that we have a dedicated server I dont think we are going to have a very dynamic address.

It depends.

If the attack were directly against the forum's network gateway(s), then you'd most likely be kicked off by the interference. In this case, it seems the attack was on their DNS servers, which would block attempts to find out the IP addresses of their clients. DNS works by forwarding IP address requests from one DNS server to another (in a specific hierarchy) until a server is found which knows the desired address. If the authoritative DNS server with that information is unavailable, then new connections can't be made (because the browser can't find out what address to connect to) but old ones can continue. DNS servers maintain a cache of answers to recent requests, so they can continue to provide addresses for a while when an authoritative server is unavailable.
    Selden

Still having issues or is it just me. I can connect by mobile but not laptop.

Blog Entries

using ipv6 google dns and have not had any issues today

normally it is the cheep ass crappy cable box from WOW that is a problem

a mem leak from malformed "get" and "post" requests along with sql code longer than 1024 bits in the url
    -- your normal everyday "bots" looking for things

this can cause the router to become very sluggish do to running out of usable ram

a full reboot of the router is needed to clear that up

-- normally a 10 sec. press of the reset button is all that is needed

but sometimes a foll 30 sec. of being UNPLUGED is needed
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by Daistallia View Post
    Still having issues or is it just me. I can connect by mobile but not laptop.
    Like John, I suspect your router and/or its network connection. Power cycling it will probably help.

I'm currently having no problems while using IPv4 from Chrome under Windows 7 through a hardwired ethernet connection to a modem/router/switch provided by Spectrum. However, it sometimes (once every couple of months, maybe) gets into a non-working state (maybe due to overheating) that a power cycle fixes.
    Selden

I'm not having any trouble either, but I have been logged on for most of the day - just working in other windows with the browser open in the background.

My link is mobile broadband. That means I have a little Huawei box that fits in the palm of my hand, and all communication between my laptop and the Huawei is wi-fi, and between the Huawei and the rest of the network is like any mobile phone. I'm only ever seriously affected by local mobile reception issues (like network congestion, thunderstorms and other very high pressure weather systems). I haven't had any problems at all finding the CG site at any time in the last few days.

Nope. Router rebooted.

Blog Entries

It could be one of the big routers between those people having issues and the guild. There are probably many paths that packets take to get here and back to people. Its not necessarily the guilds DNS entries at fault. Those of us not having issues may either have a better connection to the problematic router or simply that were not in the path of it. The only way to know that is if someone with issues uses a proxy on a different route to the guild. My advice on using the free web proxies tho is that if you do then you can browse the site but dont log into it using that proxy as no end of people poking their noses in on a free proxy stream. Of course theres no end of people poking their noses in on every website to every URL but at least one might hope that normally those kind of spooky people have some kind of regulation in place to prevent them being overtly nefarious with your log in creds... wishful thinking maybe but what can you do. The https secure bit will not be in effect if you use a proxy. It would be secure between the proxy and us but not between you and the proxy.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-26-2017 at 08:20 PM.

You could try using Opera browser. It's got a built-in VPN that's free to use. Try enabling the VPN then accessing the Guild, and see if it makes a difference. Opera's been around for a long time, so may be slightly more legitimate than some of the dodgy sites out there.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Back on the laptop. Whatever the issue was has resolved itself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12