Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City Maps for D&D Homemade campaign

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Hadn't seen the money proposed before so ... yeah, just like my to fellows above.
    Yeah, I wanted to be honest up front since it may not be much. It is an on going project of mine so there will be a need for many more maps. Apologies if the money is not up to snuff but it is honestly all I can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    You are very kind Thomas, let's not forget that your maps are also very nice. You should advertise your work too.

If you are going to use it digitally, there is no point making it 300dpi, anything in 72-100dpi range is enough. 300dpi is for printing. It is the size in pixels you should specify.

Hmm, yes that may be a heavy blow in the chest, but i doubt anybody will take this commision for $30 with the reproduce AND distrubute license ("sourcebook and for promotional materials.")? Even without them...
    I wasn't sure about the dpi. If 75 will work then that's fine as well. I have no experience with dpi and cartography so I just ran off of one of the examples here.

We understand that people can not be aware of the avarage price for commissioning a map. I hardly think anyone took your offer as an insult, so you don't have to apologize.
    For you budget you either have to go to rpgnow kind of page and can buy already premade city there, or you can TRY to commission someone here for $30, but it has to be very simple B&W not too complex and small city map. Then maybe you can have a chance to hire someone.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Its kinda taboo to share ones prices in public. Since the info is not avaible we can't blame newcomers for
    Not knowing how much a map is worth.

30$ is about 1 or 2 hours of work (or 15 min for a well paid designer, which is not my case) Think of how much can be done in that timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Think of how much can be done in that timeframe.
    This is also difficult to know for a person who never did draw a map. How someone can know how much can be done in 10 hours. It also differ depend on artist.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seroth77 View Post
    My apologies if my quote is too low for such great talent but since I am self funding this myself and don't have a ton of money, it may be a lost cause. Sorry if the price came as an insult but it is all I can afford.
    I'm pretty certain that nobody took your offer as an insult. I for sure did not. But please understand that we have to take a realistic look at our bottom lines as well.

There are a few simple facts that come with mapmaking, and that is that what we do here is a very time-consuming hobby/business. A black and white map overland might take you up to something like eight to ten hours of work. Detailed colored and shaded overland maps are pretty much open-ended efforts where the only limiting factor is the budget. City maps, if you want them more detailed than just basic lines and city quarters, really are a bit like the crowning discipline of map-making. 15 to 20 hours on something like that is nothing. Take a lowball estimate for illustrators/graphic artists of €15/h and then extrapolate this. For an industry pro or experienced freelancer, expect a higher rate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12