Thread: How can I change colour of symbols in CC3/DD3

Default How can I change colour of symbols in CC3/DD3

Hello everyone, i´m back with a specific question about symbols use in CC3/DD3
    what i did:
    i opend a png (Blood b_HI.PNG) with my photoshop programm
    Name:  Blood b_HI.PNG
Views: 177
Size:  23.3 KB

then I changed the color, so it does not look bloody but muddy
    Name:  Blood b vari_03_HI.PNG
Views: 172
Size:  24.1 KB

and saved it as a png file (Blood b vari_03_HI.PNG)

i have something in mind that changing or import symbols in the cc3 Catalog is not that easy as say changing the [Tiles]png.

Maybe some one of you can explain my mistake and can tell me what to do ;-)

Hello again Chronist

Generally speaking it is better not to alter the built in symbol sets, so that a shared map will always look the same no matter who opens it up.

If you want to create modified sets of symbols for your own personal use, then I would strongly recommend duplicating the ones you want to alter into a "User" folder, inside the existing "Symbols" folder, and then modifying them.

The filename extensions "_HI", "_VH", "_LO", and "_VL" are automatically added to the filename when the pngs are converted into symbols by the Symbol Manager, and should not be added to the filename beforehand to avoid confusion.

For example, the copy of "Blood b_HI" you made, would have been better renamed "Mud b" in your new User folder.

You are correct that creating new symbols is not as easy as importing new bitmap fills, since they have to be imported through the Symbol Manager and saved as a "catalogue". The catalogue files can be seen if you look inside the Symbols folder. They are the ones called "[Filename].FCS"

I could try to explain how to do the whole job, but I think the method is best described in Joe Sweeney's YouTube video here.

I think I may have given you this link before? If I have, but there is a spoken language barrier problem preventing you from understanding the video, please, please let me know and I will try to help you in written English here.

Failing that, you could contact Ralf Schemmann at Profantasy (Mark Oliva gave you his email address in your other thread - ralf@profantasy.com), and ask if there is a German translation of the relevant pages from "The Tome of Ultimate Mapping"? He's a really nice guy, and since he is also German I'm sure he would be able to help

EDIT: It is best to avoid using any of the following filename suffixes when creating new graphics to import as symbols, unless you are fully aware of what they mean, and are using them correctly, since they all have specific meanings to the CC3+ software:

• _HI (denotes a high resolution image version)
    • _LO (denotes a low resolution image version)
    • _VH (denotes a very high resolution image version)
    • _VL (denotes a very low resolution image version)
    • _vari (denotes a special file that allows part of a symbol to be whatever colour is selected in the palette at the time of pasting the symbol)
    • _map (denotes a file that allows CC3 to shade the symbol according to the direction of the global sunlight - for example the angle of a rooftop)
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-14-2018 at 08:44 PM.

I'm posting this reply in German because it's specific to one member, and using German may move things forward.

Schönen guten Morgen!

Es gibt mehrere deutschsprachige CC3+-Anwender, und einige von uns würden Dir gerne helfen, aber es ist allmählich Zeit, dass Du uns a' bisserla Information gibst:

1) Wir können nicht messen, wie gut Dein Englisch ist. Die Antwort ist für sich Worscht, aber sie hilft uns zu wissen, wie wir Deine Fragen am verständlichsten beantworten können. Sag' uns bitte, wie gut Du die schriftlichen Anleitung von ProFantasy verstehst, z. B. nur schwer, mehr oder weniger gut aber trotzdem problematisch, sehr gut, usw.

2) Hast Du schon das Tome of Ultimate Mapping by Remy Monsen? Wenn ja, kannst Du es schlecht/mittelmäßig/gut verstehen? Wenn nein, heißt das nicht unbedingt, dass Du das Tome sofort kaufen sollst. Wenn Du z. B. die ProFantasy-Anleitungen nur von Ungefähr verstehen kannst, wird das Tome Dir auch wenig helfen.

3) Wenn Du etwas hier schreibst, aber Du meinst, dass Du irgendetwas nicht richtig auf Englisch zum Ausdruck bringen kannst, schreib's auch auf Deutsch. Die deutschsprachigen unter uns können das dann auch für andere klarmachen, auch wenn wir selber keine Antwort haben.

Ich habe jahrelang hier in Mittelfranken als Dozent gearbeitet und habe Kursteilnehmer aus allen Teilen von Deutschland gehabt. Die meisten Dialekte (außer Platt und z. T. Schwyzer Dutsch) kann ich relativ gut verstehen. Ich habe sogar als umgepflanzter Ami mehr als einmal die Erfahrung gehabt, dass ich zwischen Teilnehmern aus Wien, Leipzig und Berchtesgaden zu einem bestimmten Grad übersetzen musste, weil sie einander nur schwer verstehen konnten.

Die Deutschen, habe ich beobachtet, haben einen außergewöhnlich großen Stolz auf ihre Versuche, Fremdsprachen zu lernen, und das ist gut so. Das ist das Produkt von Motivation. Ich denke, dass Du diesen Stolz auch zu einem bestimmten Grad hast, und bei Dir ist das auch gut.

Manchmal muss man aber Prioritäten setzen. Das ist ein kartografisches Forum, und hier soll die erste Priorität die Kartografie sein, danach Englischlernen. Lass' uns wissen, wie gut Du Englisch verstehen kannst, und hab' keine Angst, a' bisserla Deutsch ab und zu zu nutzen, wenn es auf Englisch nicht richtig geht.

Es kommt der Tag, wenn Dein Englisch ganz gut wird, und es kommt dann auch der Tag, wenn man hier meint, dass Deine Landkarten ausgezeichnet sind. Wer weiß? Es kann schon sein, dass wir hier in Franken Dir eines Tages den allerhöchsten deutschen Lob schenken können und auf fränkisch Deine Karten als net schlecht oder sogar mit bass'd scho' einstufen können. Besseres gibt's nicht.

Servus,
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Thanks for all the hints, so far I understand the written english in this forum quite well. When I'm not able to, I'll sign up or write as recommended in a genglisch (german/english) version. Maybe my english-grammer is a bit confuseing from time to time but if someone does not understand me correctly, he / she is welcome to ask. I am currently working a lot, but I hope that I come to see the video tonight and then give you a short feedback.
    @ mouse: Hello again and thanx for the advise i will follow your hints
    @ Marlk: no, i haven´t bought the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, like u say i don´t think reading this book in english would help me so much, as long as i can ask specific questions when they come up its much more helpfull for me.as long as it does not bother anyone

Your English grammar is very good, Chronist

I had assumed that you had already watched the Joe Sweeney video before attempting to make your new symbols. So in a sense the mistake is mine.

I am sorry! (Or, 'My bad', as people seem to say here at the Guild)

Hopefully the video will help you see where your first attempt went wrong, and what to do to put things right.

Good Morning, it wasn´t your mistake at all
    there where so much information and i was so into my map that i simple forgot that u already send me the link.
    finally i have seen the video and it explains quit a lot what my questions where and i have a fine dirt and mud symbolcatalog
    made out of existing pngs ;-)
    next step will be to create my own pngs :-)