Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukiyo-e Map Objects - take two!

Wip Had to get away from mountains for awhile

If I did another mountain, I was going to go crazy!! So I had to move on, I will finish them in the end.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I wanted to have at least 3 different Japanese castle (shiro) map objects. I want variety, as well as samples of different kinds. The first Shiro below is Matsue, in the Shimane Prefecture of western Japan. This was a hill type castle.

I chose to create Matsue castle for two reasons it is ideal for a typical castle for a daimyo, rather than a bureaucrat or shogun's palacial castle. Additionally this is the castle I plan on creating a floor-by-floor and ground works map, as it is smaller than massive structures built during the age of gunpowder.

Plus, this castle is located in my great grandfathers home town and his bloodline are the Daimyo's phyician for almost a thousand years, long before the castle was even built. I both visited and climbed every floor of this castle, alone (no tour) in 1977.

Matsue Shiro - the first of my Japanese Castle map objects.

GP

PS: one thing I noticed in the Ukiyo-e art references I'm working with, often the mountains, trees, sky, water and people have distinctive stylizations that make them stand apart from other forms of art. However, structures (like the castle below), boats, bridges and other "equipment" have a more realistic look. So working from photos (as there are almost no ukiyo-e castle prints), I am creating my stylistically colored, but realistic map objects of structures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shiro1.png 
Views:	586 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	9227  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-14-2009 at 12:26 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Post A farmhouse

More castles coming, but being a bit free form here, I'm creating different structures as I find them. Here's a typical farmhouse.

Though I just found an old print of somewhat fortified farm village, I will reference in similar style and structure, tomorrow.

GP

Name:	farm.png 
Views:	2827 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	9231  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    More castles coming, but being a bit free form here, I'm creating different structures as I find them. Here's a typical farmhouse.

Though I just found an old print of somewhat fortified farm village, I will reference in similar style and structure, tomorrow.

GP
    I really like this one, wonderful job. This whole thread makes me a bit upset that I can't give out rep because all of this is so very worthy of it. Again I applaud you though and look forward to the next piece with eager anticipation.

What I really would like to see is some smaller scale things like individual trees and ponds, perhaps even little figures of people sitting on the ground (perhaps playing an instrument or painting/writing).

Wip Sketch only, needs color

Found a great old print of a fortified village, and I did a detailed sketch - this one is great! It needs colored yet, but I had to do this before I went to bed.

Some of what you asked for Nomadic, but yes I want some people and ponds and whatnot, as well.

Fortified village - line art only...

GP

Name:	village-lineonly.png 
Views:	745 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	9234  
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

More great stuff GP! That first castle is really a mighty fine accomplishment.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Praise I am humbled...

Hello, GamePainter.

As I have read through your thrread and feasted upon the beauty of your work, I am humbled man.

The beauty the flows off your fingertips and deposits itself upon your paper is truly exquisite and breathtaking.

I am absolutely enthralled by your talent. Such a feast for the eyes -- such an aching it creates in the heart.

I don't know how and I don't know when but I KNOW that I MUST create a map using your symbols.

At the very least, they cry out to be used. At the very most, their subtle allure is too intoxicatingly powerful to ignore.

Thank you for sharing yourself and your talent.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Wip the Village

Well, thank you Vandy, I glad it pleases you! As I've already said, this a "must do" project for me, I've wanted to do for over a year now.

Alright, busy day, but I was able to squeeze in some time to colorize the village I lined out yesterday.

The farm village...

GP

Name:	village.png 
Views:	1031 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	9236  
    DrivethruRPG store

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is hitting a mood for me...I've been listening a lot to Trivium's Shogun album, and its got some references to feudal era japan.

This whole project makes me think of the song "Kiri Sute Gomen"
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Yay, I can finally give you the rep you so richly deserve. That colored version is incredible. I for one will most definitely be making a map once you finish this.

Wip Himeiji Castle

Thanks, Nomadic! Rock out, Arcana!

Next Himeiji Shiro - the Shogun's Palacial Castle, Osaka, Japan

Shogun or other major governor's fortress for your RPG. Just the main tower and a bit of some outer walls.

Also a small object, something to represent any Shinto Shrine, a Torii Gate. Shrine's were mostly unimpressive smaller structures meant to blend in with the local natural beauty, slightly manicured, a wooded pond, with a spring to purify yourself before entering. Shintoism is a more ancestral spirit belief system, with local spirits and the creation gods, Ameterasu, her brother Susano-o and parent gods - the older Japanese religion dated at least 300 BC, probably much older.

So instead of large temple, place symbol alone or in a grove of trees, lake or pond... the Torii Gate.

GP

GP

Name:	himeiji.png 
Views:	251 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	9268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torii.png 
Views:	1504 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	9269  
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast