Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ukiyo-e Map Objects - take two!

Praise Thanks, JFj!

Thanks, JFj - have some REP for partipating! I may use them.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Thanks, JFj - have some REP for partipating! I may use them.

GP
    Thanks! If anyone knows the translations, I would love to find out. My wife has found some information on them, but is not 100% sure of the artist.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Heh the guy in green in the first one looks like he has a lions head. Nice work though.

Wip Last two walking path objects

Lion's head ??!!! Its supposed to be a samurai hairdo. Got more from different angles in the last Walking Path objects - north to south and northwest to southeast...

These were a pain in the ass. Drawing them no problem, but coloring them in all the different colors and pattern mixes and layering, a true pain in the ass! So at least I'm finished with these, I don't see the farm wagons and mounted samurai as being any easier - harder in fact as I don't have immediate sources to work from, I'll have to hunt down some photos to do them and fake some of them as I won't find all the angles... more fun up ahead!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walking-ns.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	9366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walking-nw.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	9367  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

I had a quick go at putting together the beautiful drawings that GP has provided and this is what I came up with after about 10 minutes. The only non GP provided elements are the ground, sea, sky, moon and the foreground tree (which is some badly converted clipart of a bonsai tree). GP, you might want to make some foreground elements for 'framing' purposes, but your elements are a dream to use.

Some which I wanted to use here I couldn't because the perspective was different, (e.g. the castles), but most of them (as you can see) work really well with each other.

Fantastic work GP!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gpart.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	464.5 KB 
ID:	9371  

Praise Nice job, Ravs!

Nice job, Ravs - have some REP! I hadn't thought of using these map objects back into Ukiyo-e print format, it looks like something from Hokusai or Hiroshige might have made.

You almost should have included up one the lines of people (my last objects) into the image to add a bit a movement into the scene. Nice job anyway.

It makes me think that I've created something of value here!

GP

EDIT: Oh, I see you did put a line of people on this!
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-17-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: noticed the people, when enlarged
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Regarding framing elements

Oh, Ravs, regarding framing elements, I was thinking of creating a Daimyo, and ornate kabuki styled samurai and perhaps an oni. I also have a couple of dragon objects I want to create. I was even thinking of creating small inset portraits like my Space map with the NPCs at the bottom of the map - could include the Shogun, a samurai, a geisha or courtesan, and a ninja.

Of course once I make my tree objects or even my mounted samurai highway objects any of them could be enlarged for framing purposes as well, I've got plans to enable still.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

GP, if you look in the Sengoku book under the character archetypes there are "portraits" of all the various professions. That might give you some inspiration as well.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Oh, Ravs, regarding framing elements, I was thinking of creating a Daimyo, and ornate kabuki styled samurai and perhaps an oni. I also have a couple of dragon objects I want to create. I was even thinking of creating small inset portraits like my Space map with the NPCs at the bottom of the map - could include the Shogun, a samurai, a geisha or courtesan, and a ninja.

Of course once I make my tree objects or even my mounted samurai highway objects any of them could be enlarged for framing purposes as well, I've got plans to enable still.

GP
    It's going to be a lot of work, but worth it in the end!!

Post At least this isn't a monthly challenge

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    It's going to be a lot of work, but worth it in the end!!
    At least this is my own challenge and I'm not limited to 25 days, like a monthly challenge. Besides if I'm finally doing the Ukiyo-e set, I should do it up right shouldn't I - so I don't think this as an unfinished task. Shouldn't I?

GP

PS: I think I will skip to the highway object samurai horseman next...
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast