Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annydwyr Commission

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Those volcanoes!!

This is pretty fabulous, Josiah. I have to agree with the comment about the cartouche and to a lesser extent the coastal ring/line/thing. (I never know what to call that!) The cartouche especially - if you just put a little more work into it - mainly in the gold areas - to give it more detail, it's a solid winner.

Leaving aside the minor issues others have pointed out, this is a beautiful map, Josiah. The colours are so striking and it makes you want to pore over every part of it (and I think that's why so many little niggles have been pointed out.) See, the nitpicking is really a backhanded compliment!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

It's big and detailed !

Great map, Josiah, and I concur, special mention to the volcanoes!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Exrtremely cool map, Josiah!

Josiah, that is a fantastic piece. I have to agree with Caenwyr's remarks but this doesn't diminish the splendor of it all !

Wow! What incredible comments, thank you so much everyone for all your thoughts.

It's great to have this project done and finally look at the finished piece. Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and feedback along the way. WIP: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...light=annydwyr

Quote Originally Posted by Alnomcys View Post
    Very nice map
    Thanks Alnomcys!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Overall this is looking magnificent, Josiah! I like the colour scheme you have going, as well as your land shapes. Mountains (especially those awesome volcanoes!) and forests are looking pretty nifty too.

If I were you, there's a few things I would still take care of before I called this one finished though.
    • Mencaries River (southern continent) currently looks like a big blob of blue - I'm assuming that's something that just isn't finished yet?
    • your cartouche (or legend box or whatever it's supposed to be called) is pretty neat when zoomed out, but at full resolution it seems to look a little rough, especially compared to the tiny text in it
    • the light blue coastal wave line looks a bit too computer-generated too me. If you take a few minutes, just create a new layer, and redo the thing by hand (using the current one to lead your hand), and then throw away the old one. That should help you get it to fit together with your black coastline, which actually looks really good.
    • the stroke on the place labels is a bit too thin when they're over a patch of forest, making them quite hard to read.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way though! If I thought this map wasn't worth those upgrades, I wouldn't have suggested them. But by taking care of these now (which shouldn't take too much of your time), I believe you can turn this already great map into a real masterpiece.
    Thanks for the comments Caenwyr.
    I totally agree with you on those, thanks for pointing them out. Unfortunately the client already has the map printed, but I'll see if I get around to fixing those things sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Wow! How big? This is quite a significant piece of work Josiah, kudos for getting it all done.

I'm with Caenwyr with the tiny pieces of detail that would make this outstanding. For example there are a few spots where the rivers overlap the coastline and others where they don't quite seem to reach. Little things that would just enhance its value as an outstanding piece of art.

Overall it's an outstanding achievement and you should be proud of it!

It looks like I can rep once more so... have some
    Thanks Straf! It was quite a project, I was working on it for a long time.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Wow ! Impressive map, and impressive work ! It's a real beauty and I really love your style ! I think caenwyr is right when he suggest to take the time to perfect your map, because it's really worth it ! I like the names you choose and the similarity with existent tongue, it made me smile !
    I'm curious to Know what the map will be used for ? a RPG Campaign ? It sure is a
    map full of ideas for adventure and stories ! Congratulations !
    Thank you so much JO!
    Well, you'll have to complement the client for the names, I didn't come up with them!

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    This is one of your best works Josiah. Beautful map, well done colouring and very nice forests. It took you some time, but good maps always do. Congratz !
    Thanks Voolf!

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I want to echo what my fellow guildes said...the praise and the little nitpicks.

All in all a really impressive piece of work. I love your forests and the overall colors are very pleasing. This is definitely a "Inspiration Folder" map. I'll Rep. you if i can.
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Francissimo View Post
    a delight for the eyes!
    Thanks Francissimo.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancescaBaerald View Post
    Very impressive!
    Thank you Francesca!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I missed it, till now!

Very beautiful, Josiah. I love the colouring, and the sea is just fantastic
    Thanks Mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Those volcanoes!!

This is pretty fabulous, Josiah. I have to agree with the comment about the cartouche and to a lesser extent the coastal ring/line/thing. (I never know what to call that!) The cartouche especially - if you just put a little more work into it - mainly in the gold areas - to give it more detail, it's a solid winner.
    Thanks for the feedback Diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Leaving aside the minor issues others have pointed out, this is a beautiful map, Josiah. The colours are so striking and it makes you want to pore over every part of it (and I think that's why so many little niggles have been pointed out.) See, the nitpicking is really a backhanded compliment!
    Thanks Chickpea!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's big and detailed!

Great map, Josiah, and I concur, special mention to the volcanoes!
    Quite big.
    Thank you Ilanthar.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Nicely done!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Exrtremely cool map, Josiah!
    Thank you Wired.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Josiah, that is a fantastic piece. I have to agree with Caenwyr's remarks but this doesn't diminish the splendor of it all !
    Thank you Thomas.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Not sure how I missed this but it's a very nice piece. I like the color pallet you used as well.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Don't feel bad Jax, I missed it too! Great map,just beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Not sure how I missed this but it's a very nice piece. I like the color pallet you used as well.
    Thanks so much Jax!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Don't feel bad Jax, I missed it too! Great map,just beautiful!
    Thanks!!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12