Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: AERLAAN – A playground built for a muse

Hi all.

@Kacey, I am actually beginning to wonder if I've gone a bit mental with the landmasses. After looking at your world i'm wondering if the sheer amount of land on Aerlaan isn't really workable. (???) Ah, what the heck! Let's see where it goes. And thanks for the naming compliment, I LOVE naming stuff but have been known to get rediculous from time e.g. a female Moonelf Pirate i was playing YEARS ago called Shalirianychalythranohrkaniarohahntarianeshanoriam elanohrashanithrohel...I kid you not. Obviously she got shortened to Shalinohr..LMAO

@Ladiestorm, thank you sooo much. This is going to be an interesting journey for sure.
    THERE IS ALWAYS MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

Welcome to the guild, PaGaN, and what an impressive start! You asked for some advice/feedback regarding tectonics, so here goes:

First off, I need to give the usual disclaimer that getting the tectonics to a sufficiently realistic level where it starts to feel like your world is actually comparable to Earth, is a pretty big undertaking. However, if you're willing to go through all that hassle, I think the key advice is to consider your "present day tectonics" as only the latest stage of a long process. In other words, for things to be realistic, they need to have a geologic history. Where was X piece of land located previously, and how did it end up in its current location?

One of the ways to accomplish this is to create a GPlates model of your world's geologic history, for which there are a few handy tutorials by Astrographer.

However, while GPlates provides the tools which allow you to move continents and pieces of continents around, if you're going for ultra-realistic, you kind of need to have an understanding of Earth's tectonic history in order to have a clue about how they should be moving. You can check out Christopher Scotese's Atlas of Plate Tectonics Reconstructions for some handy advice. Scotese also has a youtube channel, with several videos about continental drift, this one, for example. Another tectonics-related youtube channel is EarthByte, which likewise has videos of several plate tectonic reconstructions (example).

I'll try to provide some actual feedback at some point, but I think those links should get you started, and I don't feel like writing a massive wall of text at the moment (tectonics-related posts have a tendency to become really long ). Good luck with your map!

Hey Charerg

Thank you so much for coming by and thanks for the feedback. I have read your incredible Aduhr thread and have to admit to being more than a little daunted by exactly how far down the rabbit hole you went (and it paid off BIG TIME). The amount of geologic history and data you now have is incredible.

Obviously I came across GPlates whilst reading your thread but did the mental equivalent of sticking my fingers in my ears to stop my brains from leaking out

I will certainly be checking out your other references that you mention and I will download GPlates tonight and take a look. If nobody hears from me for a few days you might want to come search for me in a Toronto neurotrauma ward...LOL

Thanks Charerg.

PaGaN

Why do i have a feeling that once I dive into GPlates that Aerlaan is going to end up with a MAJOR facelift???

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PaGaN View Post
    Why do i have a feeling that once I dive into GPlates that Aerlaan is going to end up with a MAJOR facelift???
    Because it will! I just started playing with it today after following the links Charerg posted... THANK YOU CHARERG!!! I've searched for useful tutorials before to no avail and finally I've found one.

PaGaN... I'll see you in the neurotrauma ward, they may need to airlift me out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    PaGaN... I'll see you in the neurotrauma ward, they may need to airlift me out of here.
    LMAO, you'll be on your own. I'll be drooling in a corner somewhere most likely...LOL

I think this is actually going to be fun though. I'm prepared to let go of my expectations and just see where this thing goes. Let's compare notes once they've put our brains back together Kacey!

PaGaN

Charerg and myself (when I can) will be around in the aisle, forcing another serving down your throats when you think you had enough.

Oh gods help us! LOL. Well I just lost 3 hours of my life getting acquainted with GPlates and getting Wilbur installed on my Mac via wineskin. No mapping for me tonight...

How's YOUR neurotrauma doing Kacey? LOL

Guild Expert

Well I haven't thrown my computer yet, but and this might be a stupid question... I'm trying to make a rotation file and I can't get it to load into G.Plates. I'm wondering if any one can tell me what text editor to use? I tried just using the notepad thing in windows but it doesn't work, when I try to load the file into G.Plates it sais it's the wrong format, how do you save a .rot file???

I'm so frustrated right now...ug

Hey Kacey. Seems as my insomnia is in full force I thought I'd answer. Well TRY to answer. According to Astrographers guide the rotation file has to be saved as a .rot file in order fur GPlares to read it. Could that be the issue? It won't work as a .txt file
    Just a thought (and bravo for holding off on the technocide...lol)

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast